FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to shoot on of these white board illistration videos

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
simon umlauf
how to shoot on of these white board illistration videos
on Aug 17, 2011 at 1:48:51 am

has anyone seen any behind the scenes footage on how they shoot whiteboard illustration videos like this one:

My main question is:
How do they move from one scene/cartoon to another? Using a special x and y axis camera rig?

Also, for post production, do you think this would be done in After Effects or Maya?

Thanks for your help ahead of time.
Best,
Simon

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: how to shoot on of these white board illistration videos
on Aug 17, 2011 at 2:29:09 pm

I would actually shoot the whole thing backwards. Compose and draw the finished shot, taking all the time you need. Then work dsrawkcab, using a marker tip as an eraser.
More elegant than a physical eraser, would be to do the erasing in photoshop or a vector painting app and add an animated hand on an alpha channel.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 17, 2011 at 4:32:37 pm

From working with artists a good bit, I think that overall this is a LOT easier than you think - provided you can assemble the right assets in advance of production.

The key asset is to hire an extremely talented and skilled cartoonist. This person has to have the skills necessary to execute the overall drawing.

Then, the process is to simply shoot him/her as they build the final composition in real-time - then time-remap that so that you speed past the drudgery of the actual drawing to get your narration points to synchronize with the drawing.

If your artist isn't quite as skilled as you'd like, you can make a virtual "crib sheet" by pre-visualizing the drawing and loading it on a projector of some kind, and while the camera is stopped, you can switch on and project the final "pre-visualized" drawing onto the white board so that the artist can "see" where the drawing has to go next.

It's "plan your work - then work your plan" on a white board.

Nothing particularly complicated.

Like most very good work, this is nothing more complex than a very good plan, very well executed.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 19, 2011 at 5:37:15 pm

There was a good thread on this on the AE forum a few months ago:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1001563

You can fake it digitally, or hire an artist with the skills to actually do this live.

[Bill Davis] "If your artist isn't quite as skilled as you'd like, you can make a virtual "crib sheet" by pre-visualizing the drawing and loading it on a projector of some kind, and while the camera is stopped, you can switch on and project the final "pre-visualized" drawing onto the white board so that the artist can "see" where the drawing has to go next."

Genius!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Aug 18, 2011 at 1:49:48 pm

just use after effects for the panning and zooming on the digital artwork.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]