FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the highest quality AVI to digitize video to for future editing?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe BandyWhat's the highest quality AVI to digitize video to for future editing?
by on Aug 11, 2011 at 9:29:51 pm

I have a bunch of old videos on VHS, DVCAM and MiniDV tapes. I'm looking to get them all digitized into a digital file format for archiving on external hard drives. The files may be edited in the future on different editing platforms, it is most important that it works with adobe premiere pro running on a windows machine. so I was thinking to digitize the tapes to AVI but I'm not sure what codec to use. The AVI's can't be uncompressed either because I wouldn't have enough hard drives to back them up. The format from tape will be all Standard definition at 720x480 or 720x486 29.97 fps.

So what I need to know is what is the highest quality AVI (that's not uncompressed) I can digitize the tapes too? What codec should I use? Data rate?

Thank you for your time.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo JørgensenRe: What's the highest quality AVI to digitize video to for future editing?
by on Aug 12, 2011 at 8:21:53 am

Hey Joe,

With regards to AVI codec and future proofing your files it really depends on what kind of work you are expecting to use the footage in?

I'm currently converting all of our old VHS's to MPeg-2 through a very basic set-up using a home DVD recorder - unbeatable in cost of storage and can easily be copied onto other digital media storage and used in PPro.

Your comments about mini-DV and DV-CAM is interesting as in that our company is currently copying the whole Betacam SP library onto DV-Cam. In our estimate those formats still have a 10 year life-span in them. So not sure that you should write them off yet, unless there is other reasons to get them stored on a hard-drive?

Please note that none of our solutions involves Hard-Drive storage, simply because the technology is expensive per minute stored and not as durable as the other media.

All the Best
Mads
London, UK

Please do visit our faceBook page here: http://www.facebook.com/MacMillionProductions

Mac Million Ltd. - Digital Media Production
Blog: http://macmillionltd.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]