FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making a talking head video blog show

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
reza naghibi
Making a talking head video blog show
on Jul 26, 2011 at 3:49:41 pm

Hello,

As always this is probably the wrong place to have posted (as easy as it may seem when reading the forum sub-sections, it's quite confusing) this but here goes...

My client has a blog that he posts to bi-weekly and has expressed a desire to trim some of those blogs into a sort of rapid fire, brief video blog that would supplement his blog website. We've shot him talking to the camera with a green screen behind him and i've got the footage and all that ready to go.

what i want to kno is where to go from here:

1.) best keying techniques?
2.) best process to conduct with this sort of project? ie: trim in final cut, render separate clips then take to AE for keying and titles and thirds?
3.) best things to keep in mind with this sort of project? ie: shadows on the green screen, lighting, audio, editing, compositing, etc.

The above are the only questions that I have but there may be many others I should keep in mind so I would greatly appreciate you're exhaustive and considerate tips and tricks.

THANKS!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Making a talking head video blog show
on Jul 26, 2011 at 5:34:44 pm

Back up. Before the green screen tutorial, the more important thing is: the content. Is what the guy is saying compelling enough that it would work if it *wasn't* green screened?

If not, then you have bigger problems.

This may be a case where motion graphics (flying type with illustrations) is actually a better way to illustrate and punctuate what the guy has written on his blog. And that's moer work than green screening a talking head, but potentially much more powerful and attractive and effective.

Assuming you're going to ignore that advice, there are tons of threads on the COW about how to greenscreen properly already, as well as tutorials. You can look them up, but the basics are: you don't need a TON of light, but you Do need very EVEn light on the backdrop. Keep your talent at least his boy height plus a foot or two in distance from that green screen, to kill shadows and spill problems. Light the screen adn the talent separately, light the talent at angles for the key light that match the light direction of whatever the replacement backdrop will be. REcord in a high quality codec and edit in a high quality codec, not in Dv's 4:1:1 space, and if that last sentence didn't make any sense, you need to do more reading about codecs and resolution before you continue this project.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 28, 2011 at 11:12:45 pm

Edit his video first. Cut it down to only what will make the final cut.
Key those clips.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

reza naghibi
on Jul 29, 2011 at 12:34:02 am

hey chris, exactly what i needed to kno. so i should take the individual clips that are in the final cut of the video, export them (and if so what is the best method?) then open in AE, keylight, choker, etc, then export (again, best method?) then back to final cut?

where should i put in my thirds titles and etc?

sorry i'm such a newb, but thanks for all your input!

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Aug 1, 2011 at 8:12:54 pm

1.) best keying techniques?
You've already shot it, man. Key the best ya can.
2.) best process to conduct with this sort of project? ie: trim in final cut, render separate clips then take to AE for keying and titles and thirds?
Only if it was shot horribly. I'd not waste that time if not needed.
3.) best things to keep in mind with this sort of project? ie: shadows on the green screen, lighting, audio, editing, compositing, etc.
Well, you know you need a key. Light it accordingly and make it easy in post. There is no reason you can't just stay in FCP and bust it out lickity split.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]