FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lower thirds or not?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David BarkLower thirds or not?
by on Jun 28, 2011 at 5:57:51 pm

Hi guys,

I'm doing a testimonial DVD for a martial arts studio, consisting primarily of parents standing up with their kids and talking about the benefits of the studio. It's cut with b-roll of classes going through their katas and exercises and a few brief messages from the instructor.

He was pretty clear that he wanted each testimonial to begin with the client giving their name, their kids' name, state how long they've been with the studio, and then go on to talk about how it's benefited the kids and family. So, I've got just about everything verbalized. Would thirds or any kind of textual info be redundant and unnecessary?

Thanks,

David

David Bark
Lightshine Productions

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Lower thirds or not?
by on Jun 28, 2011 at 6:24:39 pm

Yes, L3s would be redundant, but whether they're unnecessary is a separate question for two reasons:

1] redundancy is sometimes regarded as a good thing in communications
2] also having the names, etc. in visuals could serve one of several purposes like:
  • a little extra notoriety for the clients
  • assistance with difficult names
  • assistance with relevant info for dummies like me who like watching TV without sound

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Lower thirds or not?
by on Jun 28, 2011 at 6:33:51 pm

I don't think it's redundant. "See it and show it" rather than one or the other.

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Lower thirds or not?
by on Jun 28, 2011 at 7:31:03 pm

I think you meant "speak it and show it", Nick ... "see it and show it" seems ... well, redundant. lol

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Lower thirds or not?
by on Jun 28, 2011 at 8:25:15 pm

What he said.

Which is also redundant.:-)

In the case of testimonials, the lower third psychologically at least conveys and added layer of authenticity, that these people are not actors. Since a lot of marketing vids and commercials use "actor portrayals" these days, it's not that out to place to add the lower thirds, if they are not obnoxious.

Return to posts index

David BarkRe: Lower thirds or not?
by on Jun 28, 2011 at 9:26:16 pm

Awesome. Thanks, guys.

David Bark
Lightshine Productions

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Lower thirds or not?
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 9:43:35 pm

Okay. You're both right. Typed before thinking through the reply.

-Nick Griffin
Department of Redundancy Department

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Lower thirds or not?
by on Jul 10, 2011 at 6:42:08 pm

Another good thing a lower third gives you, if you design it carefully, is a chance to put a client "bug" on the lefthand side of the lower third. This gives branding throughout much more of the production than if you just put the client logo at the front and at the endslate (if there is one).

Carefull planning can give you the ability to build a lower third system in which the bug is up throughout the video, and the bug, as part of the lower third, is in the identical position as the freestanding one, giving branding throughout the entire runtime.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]