FORUMS: list search recent posts

Google Earth Pro?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick GriffinGoogle Earth Pro?
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:42:57 pm

We have an upcoming project where the Google Earth zoom-in effect might be useful. The pro version says that it exports at 1920x1080 and I see it used on TV news all the time.

Does anyone have any experience using Google Earth Pro for video output?

How hard is it to program different rates/speeds of zooms?

Can you pause mid-zoom and then easily return to a zoom in or out?

How difficult is it to use / how much practice does it require to get good at it / or is it simple from the outset?

Thanx in advance for any answers you can provide.

Return to posts index

Noah KadnerRe: Google Earth Pro?
by on Jun 18, 2011 at 4:53:03 am

You can easily do those effects in any NLE once you have the footage as you want it- so why try to make Google do it.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Google Earth Pro?
by on Jun 18, 2011 at 12:23:06 pm

[Noah Kadner] "once you have the footage as you want it"

That's kind of the whole point. Google Earth Pro PROVIDES the footage. I'm just trying to find out what the degree of difficulty is in using it's own, integrated zoom controls. The software is $400 for a one year license. Not a lot of money, but not the same as a $1.99 app purchase.

So, does anyone have any experience with Google Earth Pro?

Return to posts index

by on Jun 18, 2011 at 12:35:23 pm

Yeah it's super easy to create those map zoom ins with Google Earth Pro. Just saying you can just do the actual speed ramps in post much easier with the footage google earth generates. Though I'll leave it up to you if the cost is worth the amount you plan to use it in a year. Get it?

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Google Earth Pro?
by on Jun 18, 2011 at 1:03:38 pm

[Noah Kadner] " Yeah it's super easy to create those map zoom ins with Google Earth Pro."

Thank you.

[Noah Kadner] "Just saying you can just do the actual speed ramps in post much easier with the footage google earth generates."

Kind of goes without saying, doesn't it? If Google Earth Pro outputs 1920x1080P footage I assume I can do all sorts of things with it. I've been playing with the free version of Google Earth on an iPad and straight zooms are complicated with a lot of pitch and rolling. I am hopeful that this is not the case with the Pro version on a computer. That's more or less what I've been trying to get input on.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 19, 2011 at 5:35:01 am

You can also 'drive' it live with a mouse or a joystick- that's fun...

Noah

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Google Earth Pro?
by on Jun 27, 2011 at 8:26:47 pm

We have owned Google Earth Pro for a couple of years. I have not played with it but the editor here who did said it was not easy to do a zoom and it looked real choppy. Certain satellite photos look cleaner then others. So we ended up gabbing still photos from varying distances and did the animation ourselves. Keep in mind we last looked at its ability to zoom two years ago and I hope it has gotten better.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

by on Jun 28, 2011 at 7:06:29 am

Smoothness of the zooms depends entirely on your graphics card...

Noah

Return to posts index

Matt DunnRe: Google Earth Pro?
by on Aug 15, 2011 at 8:43:14 pm

I realize I'm very late on this post but thought I'd share anyway. I've been using GE pro for a few years now (still trying to master it). I've created some pretty cool videos. If you create a video the right way, it doesn't matter too much on how good your graphics card is. If you create a tour then tell it to record the movie it will go as slow as it needs to to produce every frame. The end result is perfection with no stuttering. Recently I've been using a 3D mouse to record videos on the fly and fly however I want (and not be stuck with the flight pattern that GE creates from placemark to placemark). It does require a beefy processor though because it's capturing nearly at real time.

p.s. I came across this trying to figure out how to create tours from a path with specific control like they do with the Tour de France tours. They're really amazing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]