FORUMS: list search recent posts

Examples of Great Talking Heads

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Keo
Examples of Great Talking Heads
on Jun 13, 2011 at 5:01:39 pm

Hi Guys,

I am educating my agency on talking head videos, which they can then market to our clients (mostly CEOs/C-suit types). I am desperate for examples of talking head videos that really work, some of the best ones out there. Do you have any in mind that really set the bar for how to do a talking head/corp video that is available online. Please let me know if you have any thoughts (where I should look for some good ones - is there a website that consistently produces good ones?)or even better specific videos.

Thanks so much

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Examples of Great Talking Heads
on Jun 14, 2011 at 4:23:03 pm

Drew
There is no shortage of talking heads videos on the web. Here's my favorite:

But seriously (actually I was serious) go to just about any tech company's website and you'll find video of CEO's and other officers touting the awesomeness of their products and services.

What you need to do is get the message across in a way that does not look and sound like a scripted piece of propaganda. Shoot it so it looks like you caught the person walking down the hall, rather than sitting in a wood paneled board room counting gold coins like Scrooge McDuck. But don't shoot it like that - still use a tripod and good lighting. Fly casually. I'd also intersperse some clean graphics.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jun 15, 2011 at 12:52:10 am

Using well shot and pertinent b-roll to reinforce the subject matter is a really good thing. I shoot at 1920x1080 and edit at 1280x720, then use the extra resolution to fake focal length changes during the edit. It adds interest and makes the editing easier. Here is an example of a no frills, but well done, talking head (if I do say so myself).

Dr. Lichtenstein Bio

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Oct 11, 2011 at 2:22:02 pm

Hi Jason,

Thanks for sharing your great video and your knowledge.

Can you describe in a bit more details what you mean by
"shoot at 1920x1080 and edit at 1280x720, then use the extra resolution to fake focal length changes during the edit. It adds interest and makes the editing easier" ???

Thanks!

Gilles

Return to posts index

Kai Cheong
on Jun 15, 2011 at 11:59:27 am

Hi Drew,

We do a lot of corporate videos and that means we get to interview a lot of people along the way. I'd say one of the most important tips in getting a good, credible talking head is to make the interviewee comfortable and at-ease. Chat with them about stuff, don't stress them to deliver a "perfect" performance, have them forget all the lights/cameras/crew milling about. Prior to that, if they have a script, emphasize on the need to be familiar with the content. If it's not absolutely necessary for them to stick to the script word-for-word, encourage them to rephrase and use their own words.

Here's something we've done not too long ago which isn't too bad. These interviewees were natural and articulate - great to work with. We also always try to plan in some relevant cutaways so that there's something more visually-exciting to cut to.

Kai
FCP Editor / Producer with Intuitive Films
http://kai-fcp-editor.blogspot.com
--
Now 'LIVE'! Check Out The Intuitive Films Blog @ http://intuitive-films.blogspot.com
At Intuitive Films, We Create: TV Commercials, Documentaries, Corporate Videos and Feature Films
Visit us @ http://www.intuitivefilms.com
--
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | FCP 5.1.4 | Mac OS X 10.5.7

8-Core Intel Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8GB RAM | FCP 6.0.6 | Mac OS X 10.5.6 | 3.0TB CalDigit VR | 2 x 24" Dell S2409W

Return to posts index

Drew Keo
on Jun 15, 2011 at 12:57:11 pm

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to this post, I know it was a little open ended. Really great tips. I appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Sean Nolan
on Jul 26, 2011 at 5:49:13 pm

Hey Jason, the advice about faking focal length by editing at 1280x720 is a great idea, I'll definitely be incorporating that into my own work. Thanks for sharing!

I've got an upcoming gig to shoot a series of talking heads, where people share successful sales techniques. I've shot some talking heads in the past, with no b-roll (rookie mistake), and although the client was happy, I want to step up my game on this shoot. I'm wondering if anybody can offer some advice on how to effectively gather and integrate b-roll. If I'm going into an office environment, are there specific shots that are staples in b-roll collection? I'm thinking a pan of the outside of the building, a pan of the reception area, some shots of people working, but I'm sure this list is too generic.

Looking at previous videos the client liked, the b-roll is often a series of slow motion action shots of the individual being interviewed, shot around the office, working and gesturing enthusiastically. I'd like to do something more unique though, if you have any suggestions.

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Oct 11, 2011 at 2:27:34 pm

Hi Sean,

how did your talking head shoot/video go?

can you share with me what you ended up using as B-roll?

G

Gilles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]