FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixing 4:3 SD and 16:9 SD

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat FordMixing 4:3 SD and 16:9 SD
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 4:28:16 am

I am doing a video for a client which uses 16:9 Camtasia motion screen captures from asset management software which will be displayed on a HD tv. I also have a testimonial that I shot in 16:9 SD...all of this will be shown at a trade show...all of what I have looks ok to the client.

What I want to do is add an opening piece in 4:3 SD...it's a landscape stock footage shot...I am presuming that I can put the that up and make appropriate changes vis-a-vis pixel aspect. I assume the image will not fill the entire screen.

Before you suggest...I have no HD equipment...don't want to rent and start over....and like I said, so far it looks ok for its purpose.

Return to posts index

Chris TompkinsRe: Mixing 4:3 SD and 16:9 SD
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 10:50:42 am

This would better served in the FCP forum. OR which ever your editing program forum.

Drop the 4X3 clip into your 16X9 timeline. Adjust distort as needed.
You can add black bars over the top and bottom of the video if you need to as well to match the look.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Pat FordRe: Mixing 4:3 SD and 16:9 SD
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 1:18:13 pm

Thanks, Chris...I just spaced out putting my question in an editing forum...but it looks like the mixing the formats will behave as I suspected...thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris TompkinsRe: Mixing 4:3 SD and 16:9 SD
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 8:07:31 pm

Yup.
Good Luck!

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Mixing 4:3 SD and 16:9 SD
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 8:54:32 pm

Anytime I have to mix 4x3 with 16x9 I put the 4x3 in a box over a looping background or use the looped background as the sidebars. This, IMHO, makes jumping between the two aspect ratios much less jarring. What I simply can't stand is anytime the 4x3 material is horizontally stretched to cover the 16x9 frame. That looks like garbage, again IMHO.

Digital Juice Jumpbacks have some very nice and many subtle loops which you can get fairly inexpensively. There are others, too.

Return to posts index

Pat FordRe: Mixing 4:3 SD and 16:9 SD
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 9:49:51 pm

Nick...I was intending to use a looping background as you suggest, but so far stretching the footage to 1.2 does not look bad...in my humble opinion...it is a shot of Puget Sound (trees/water/etc) at sunset...so maybe treating it in this manner may be less risky than other subjects.

Have not looked at it on a large 16:9 monitor yet though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]