FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using PAL Camera in the US

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat Ford
Using PAL Camera in the US
on Feb 4, 2011 at 7:12:36 pm

I may get a job shooting a speaker at a tradeshow here in the US. It is for a British company; they want the footage in PAL format. I am in Seattle and can rent a PAL camera easily.

However, I wonder if there would be any problem vis-a-vis the lighting for example...or anything else because of the different environment.

For example, I shot in Egypt with an inexpensive consumer camera and got a lot of pulsating with fluorescent lights.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: Using PAL Camera in the US
on Feb 4, 2011 at 8:29:20 pm

[Pat Ford] "can rent a PAL camera easily."

Pat-
Most pro cameras these days -- at least the ones I'm familiar with -- already have 50i PAL as one of their set-up options, so getting what you need should be fairly simple.

[Pat Ford] "inexpensive consumer camera and got a lot of pulsating with fluorescent lights."

This is not within my field of knowledge but I would suggest that if you were shooting with a 60hz NTSC camera in a location with 50hz lighting, weird things can happen. But then flickers are always a possibility with fluorescents in my experience. An equally big problem with "practical" consumer fluorescents is the dreaded "green spike," which is best dealt with by gelling on location, but can be removed in post with good color correction tools.

Other than that, and especially if you're dealing with some form of tungsten or halogen lighting for the speaker, you should have no problems.

Return to posts index

Pat Ford
on Feb 4, 2011 at 8:40:44 pm

Well, my camera is a PD 150...I know...I hang my head in shame...I assure you that I am looking for an EX1 or EX3...

Your comment about the florescent lighting in Egypt was spot on....
You know, convention halls often have mercury vapor lights...still an ugly light but no flicker problems.

Thank you for your time!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 5, 2011 at 12:58:40 am

I'd shoot 24p and do a pull up to 25 fps for PAL in post. Much less risk of strobing as you'd get with 50i/50p capture. And upgrade your camera already. $100 phones shoot HD video that is better than the PD150 these days.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Feb 7, 2011 at 5:05:45 am

Some years back, I did some PAL shooting here (for an overseas network) and adjusted the in-camera shutter rate to eliminate flicker from fluoros. Now, this was with a very nice PAL DigiBeta, which had that capability in its menu.

And yes, newer cameras almost all have those capabilities. If there's anything in the scene that flickers in your viewfinder, adjust for it.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 7, 2011 at 5:15:05 am

Easier said than done. My experience with PAL shooting in the US is sometimes there's flicker in the frame that's very hard to notice on a viewfinder but ruins a shot when you look at it later on a monitor. Not a good way to go if you can avoid it.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Feb 7, 2011 at 7:15:36 pm

Didn't really have the monitor option, it was mostly pure ENG-style stuff.

One thing I did notice is that the corners of the frame in the finder would show me more flicker.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]