FORUMS: list search recent posts

A classic audio demonstration

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick GriffinA classic audio demonstration
by on Jan 22, 2011 at 7:23:38 pm

On one of the cable news channels last night the host was reporting about a series of videos for a politician which had been done by an overly enthusiastic aide. The clips shown were a few handheld videos, obviously intended to be "professional." The biggest problem was the audio was obviously camera mic only, and as such, distant, low-level and hollow room sound.

The joke came when they switched back to the host in studio for follow-up comments, only this time his audio wasn't coming from his lav or a boom, but from an open mic which had to have been 15 to 20 feet away in the studio. His explanation of how professional the politician's videos are went on this way for 20 - 30 seconds before going to a break.

Classic. I only wish some of the "we do it all ourselves" prospects could see it.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: A classic audio demonstration
by on Jan 24, 2011 at 5:45:31 pm

Probably all using only existing light as well, right?

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: A classic audio demonstration
by on Jan 24, 2011 at 7:40:16 pm

Today, authenticity is often a sought after look. It really dpends on the application how we go about our jobs. I can tell you, more than half the time, I shoot with existing light utilizing the camera mic. It's not because I'm too lazy to plug in three lights and clip a lav, it's because I'm responding to what the client wants. The word "viral" to many clients means making it look like a home movie. So be it. Insisting on unwanted production value quite often will result in losing the gig today. That's the truth.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: A classic audio demonstration
by on Jan 24, 2011 at 7:47:31 pm

[grinner hester] "Insisting on unwanted production value..."

Yea, but what I see too much of, like on these particular segments for a Congressman, is the lighting is controlled -- sometimes good, the "talent" (quotes used with a fair amount of derision) is pretending that they are a professional on actual TV, they are obviously reading from a prepared script and NOBODY has given the first thought to decent, intelligible audio.

Imitation of the viral look can be done in many ways and still not blow the basics. Remember Blair Witch Project?

Return to posts index

Richard CrowleyRe: A classic audio demonstration
by on Jan 25, 2011 at 5:42:20 am

"Remember Blair Witch Project?"

There are stories circulating that the audio track for BWP was either heavily post-processed by Hollywood professionals, or even completely replaced by ADR and Foley. IMHO, additional proof that audio is more important than most producers give credit.

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: A classic audio demonstration
by on Jan 29, 2011 at 4:37:47 pm

No doubt audio is half of video. Certainly overlooked to much by many.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved