FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Motion output for a Presentation

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Rajotte
FCP Motion output for a Presentation
on Jan 12, 2011 at 3:05:54 pm

Can someone tell me what's the BEST output resolution I should use for exporting my Motion
project that will be displayed on a large screen at a business conference? I'm using just the
graphics in FCP Motion but want to make sure the quicktime file out put is the best for displaying. Thanks

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: FCP Motion output for a Presentation
on Jan 12, 2011 at 6:18:42 pm

Is this presentation being projected of of your computer or someone else's? The reason I bring this up is because the presenters laptop may not be any good.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

John Grote, Jr.
on Jan 12, 2011 at 7:12:48 pm

Why are you now seeking out this question? Not that it is not a valid question, but this is a question to be brought up before you start. What are your delivery requirements, is a question that you must ask prior to even beginning any project. This saves a lot of trouble and aggravation in the long run. What should I deliver in is something that should be addressed with you and your client. The same goes as far as how it is being delivered.

We can tel you a thousand different ways and codecs, but ultimately it your client that should dictate that to you. You may have done this project in the highest Rez possible, with hours of render time to find out all they need is a DVD or a smaller file. Or of course it could be the opposite and now they want a 1080i file and your in 720p.

A lot of pratfalls in our industry and the only way to move ahead and hopefully is to be prepared. Do you homework before and CYA, because in the long run 90% of the clients don't know what the need or want to begin with. So ask as many questions up front and it will make the process much smoother for all.

Cheers,

btveditor

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 13, 2011 at 7:44:26 pm

[Peter Rajotte] "Can someone tell me what's the BEST output resolution I should use for exporting my Motion project that will be displayed on a large screen at a business conference? I'm using just the graphics in FCP Motion but want to make sure the quicktime file out put is the best for displaying."

I agree with John.

This is information that you need to get from your client; in turn, they may need to get some of this information from their AV vendor. Your deliverable will be driven by a number of factors like the projector, video switching system, and video playback system.

You want to know specifically what frame size and frame rate to deliver, as well as what container/file type (not all playback systems like Quicktime), video codec, video bitrate, number of audio channels, audio codec, and audio sample rate/depth/bitrate.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Peter Rajotte
on Jan 13, 2011 at 8:18:22 pm

Ok thanks Walter I will ask the vendor what he prefers for presenting the video. Thanks

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 14, 2011 at 8:35:19 pm

Peter, I would not be surprised if you get a blank look from your client when you ask them what codec they want and what size it should be. I have found that it is rare when a client knows that. And I disagree, I don't think the client should know that. When I purchased a new door for my house the carpenter didn't ask me what size my door was...and it is a good thing he didn't because how they measure it is different then how I would have measured it. It is your job to know what codec works best with Power Point. What settings work best for a crappy laptop. That is why they come to you, for your expertise and knowledge. Your job is to know what questions to ask and then make it work. Just my $.02.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 14, 2011 at 9:53:57 pm

[Stephen Smith] "Peter, I would not be surprised if you get a blank look from your client when you ask them what codec they want and what size it should be. I have found that it is rare when a client knows that. And I disagree, I don't think the client should know that."

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "client." I do a lot of live events, and my client is usually a production company or agency, and occasionally an end client's media department. They either handle some of this in house themselves, or outsource it to an AV vendor as I mentioned above.

I agree with you that what I would call the "end client" (whoever is actually making the presentation) will have no idea what any of this technobabble means.

[Stephen Smith] "It is your job to know what codec works best with Power Point. What settings work best for a crappy laptop. That is why they come to you, for your expertise and knowledge. Your job is to know what questions to ask and then make it work."

It might be true that this video will play from PowerPoint on a $1,000 laptop, or it might be true that there's a beautifully engineered video system with a $20,000 DDR.

If the deliverable is for PowerPoint, then yes, it is your responsibility to know how to deliver it with no further instruction (although you should at least find out if they intend to present in 4:3 or 16:9). If there's any sort of proper video playback on-site, though, then there are acceptable deliverables and unacceptable deliverables. The questions I listed include all the elements of a good spec for delivery.

Stephen and I have both made assumptions in this thread about who your client is and how this will be presented. We shouldn't do that. I suppose the first question to the client really ought to be this: "Do you have any AV support for this meeting that I can discuss delivery requirements with?"

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
Delivery format
on Jan 15, 2011 at 1:59:44 am

I ask "Mac, DVD player, PPT on a work-issued Dell laptop (which run XP, an old version of PPT and have a buggy graphics card driver) or do you want us to put it on the intranet for you?".
[Walter Soyka] "If the deliverable is for PowerPoint, then yes, it is your responsibility to know how to deliver it with no further instruction"
That's my most common playback method (so I give them WMVs) though my followup question "do you know how to embed a video into a PowerPoint?" is also met with blank stares.

What follows is a further meeting where they bring me their USB stick, I embed the video into their PPT and give them strict instructions not to move files around, only folders.

I recently had a woman in my studio asking about getting software so she could do the video editing ("it looks so easy") but when I mentioned embedding a video file she threw up her hands and said (smilingly, in a heavy Russian accent, with lots of hand-waving) "Zat's too much to remember - I'll leave that for a young person in my office to do".

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Delivery format
on Jan 17, 2011 at 8:25:05 pm

"TV is magic: you push a button, and there it is"

Return to posts index

John Grote, Jr.
Re: Delivery format
on Jan 17, 2011 at 9:33:23 pm

AMEN to that!!!! I've got the Staples Easy Button Right next to my keyboard.

J. Grote, Jr.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]