FORUMS: list search recent posts

BluRay archiving

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lori SavitchBluRay archiving
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 9:30:01 am

Hello! I saw the previous archiving posts, and I hope it's OK that I'm starting a new thread devoted to BluRay.

I work in a hospital marketing department, and I'm half of a 2-person video team. We are archiving P2 cards (we have one devoted exclusively to b-roll) and project masters onto 50 GB BluRay discs. We decided to go the BluRay route when an exterior hard drive failed, and we lost some footage.

The footage we shoot often becomes dated after 5-10 years, in part due to updates in hospital equipment. Even the final projects we archive often are never needed again. Except when they are ....

So -- does anyone have any thoughts on BluRay disc storage? We are stacking them, flat, in jewel cases, in a cool, dark and dry environment.

Also, is anyone partial to any specific brand of disc?

I know, I know -- we should have one more additional backup method. I guess that brings us back to exterior drives. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: BluRay archiving
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 7:57:08 pm

Look for archival class blurays. DVDs only had a limited shelf life, but you can get 300 year DVDs (supposedly). I imagine you can get the same. Also blurays/dvds come on spindles. Nothing wrong with stacking your archived DVDs on spindles and putting them back in the closet to save space. The only challenge is finding them, but you can work out a catalog system. Also don't stack more than 50 together due to weight and the strength of the spindle.

Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Lori SavitchRe: BluRay archiving
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 9:25:30 pm

Thank you Cory!

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: BluRay archiving
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 9:52:41 pm

And I would say make two masters, hopefully from two different boxes of fresh media, in case you get a bad batch somewhere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved