FORUMS: list search recent posts

Liability Waiver

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard JohnsonLiability Waiver
by on Dec 15, 2010 at 4:43:55 am

Hey guys I would like a liability waiver at the beginning of my show I just wrapped up. I thought this was the most fitting forum for my question and thought y'all would have real world experience in these types of matters.

It's a cooking show featuring the chef from a top local restaurant and I want to market it in the area. I have a warning I put at the beginning of the DVD about copyright infringement but would like something to cover me from getting sued if someone cuts themselves trying to chop garlic like the show tells them or chokes on something they cooked after watching the show etc... I just want to cover my bases with something broad that tells them we are not liable if they burn down their kitchen or hurt themselves and to consult a physician before changing dietary habits.

I am on a shoestring budget so I can't afford an expensive media attorney and probably don't need anything as most the cooking shows I've watched on tv don't have these statements... I just want to be on the safe side b/c I don't have the food network's legal team backing me. Thanks-Richard

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Liability Waiver
by on Dec 15, 2010 at 8:50:58 pm

Put it on the end credits of the show, not the front.

"The recipes demonstrated on this show are for entertainment and educational purposes only, the producers do not accept liability for any situations that arise from viewers imitating the show in any fashion."

"P.S.": Anybody who cooks with chilli peppers and fugu parts is on their own".

Something like that?

Return to posts index

Richard JohnsonRe: Liability Waiver
by on Dec 15, 2010 at 9:18:24 pm

Thank you very much Mark. That was exactly what I was looking for. Have you used something to that effect before or was that off the top of your head? Thanks again. Cheers. -Richard

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Liability Waiver
by on Dec 15, 2010 at 10:52:48 pm

The top of my head is lacking in hair but full of ideas:-) I'm not a lawyer, so use that or don't but I take no responsibility for what happens to you if you use that. Now we're doing waivers of waivers - better stop now before we divide by zero and generate some kind of singularity.

Return to posts index

Richard CrowleyRe: Liability Waiver
by on Dec 29, 2010 at 1:34:54 pm

I have been watching a fair number of cooking shows as I anticipate producing one in the future. However I have never (NEVER) seen a disclaimer before or after a cooking show.

OTOH, given the increasingly litigious society we live and work in, perhaps it wouldn't be unheard of. I am visiting California at the moment (boarding the plane back to Oregon within minutes) and the state of California has apparently decided that we must label everything that could be considered the slightest bit carcionogenic. That apparently includes nearly everything we come in contact with. When everything is labeled as "dangerous", then the warnings cease to be useful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved