FORUMS: list search recent posts

chromatic aberration on DOF adapter

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clyde villegas
chromatic aberration on DOF adapter
on Nov 23, 2010 at 12:29:19 am

I have one of the lower priced DOF adapters. I shot an interview with someone wearing a white suit and his right arm has a very prominent chromatic aberration. I shot another person also wearing a white suite and he also had that chromatic aberration. My lens is a Nikon 50mm f1.4 lens at wide open. I placed a 1 inch++ extension tube between the achromat and the condenser so as to magnify the image and get rid of the vignette. Do you think the extension tube is what's causing the CA? Do you think the CA will be gone if I put one more achromat lens (making it two achromat lens) and remove the extension tube? Thanks guys!

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: chromatic aberration on DOF adapter
on Nov 23, 2010 at 1:30:40 am

Impossible to say without looking at your gear up close- other than using a low end DOF adapter with any lens is a basic recipe for CA. Add in anything other than a top cine lens and your chances go up. Not really any secret to it- you want distortion free footage you need better optics and preferably a camera that can accept interchangeable lenses without an adapter. For example on a good day a Canon 60D with stock Canon lenses will blow away most lower priced bolt on lens adapters and say an HDV camera. It's just common sense- too many pieces of less than perfect optics in the path of light coming into the camera. Alignment will go out of wack.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Nov 23, 2010 at 3:29:56 am

Yes, I know that. You always get what you pay for. But I need to know if putting another achromat lens will lessen the CA since I was told that the purpose of the included achromat in the DOF package was to reduce CA.

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 23, 2010 at 3:52:57 am

That's for us to have no clue on because the gear is not sitting in front of us, and for you to find out as you have all the pieces of gear in front of you. :)

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]