FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera Advice & Starting in Promo Vid Field

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean BredbennerCamera Advice & Starting in Promo Vid Field
by on Oct 17, 2010 at 8:57:42 pm

Hi, First time poster as I'm just starting out.

Basically I'm living in Europe for the year (and possibly longer) while my wife goes to school and I'm on the verge of shooting a promotional video.

I was set on the HVX200, but the price of the P2 knocked it out of contention. I'm now considering the HMC-150 and 40 and maybe the JVC GY-HM100.

Obviously overseas a major concern is NTSC vs. PAL. I'd like to have NTSC for use back home but I don't want to screw myself in the immediate while worrying about the future. I like the 150 the most, but did read that the HM100 can switch b/w NTSC and PAL. That's quite a bonus, plus not having to worry about the AVCHD codec as it's not supported in FCP (right?)

I'll be shooting a mix of indoor and outdoor shots so I don't want the lighting to flicker during my interview shots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Camera Advice & Starting in Promo Vid Field
by on Oct 18, 2010 at 7:33:29 am

PAL and NTSC are broadcast and DVD standards. It's unlikely you're looking at cheap cameras to capture broadcast footage. If you are delivering on DVD, any HD camera can downres/crop to a DVD frame size, pal or ntsc, so you just need to figure out how to convert to the pal 25p framerate in post* if you can't capture it in camera. If you're delivering for the web any camera will do as long as it meets your quality and functionality requirements.

Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Sean BredbennerRe: Camera Advice & Starting in Promo Vid Field
by on Oct 18, 2010 at 9:29:45 am

Thanks Cory, isn't there a concern about the flickering effect from lights running at 50 hz?

Also, any thoughts on the cameras I'm considering? Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Noah KadnerRe: Camera Advice & Starting in Promo Vid Field
by on Oct 18, 2010 at 3:34:16 pm

Yes you have reason to be concerned- even though HD cameras are not NTSC they still run at 24/25/30/29.97 frame rates and if you pick the one that doesn't match the electrical cycles of the country you're filming in you will get flicker on lights. So getting a camera that can do both 29.97, 60, 50, 24, 25, etc is critical.

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved