FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording a DVD Without the Cheesy Menu

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hughes
Recording a DVD Without the Cheesy Menu
on Aug 13, 2010 at 3:26:56 pm

We shoot a lot of weddings, primarily on XDCAM disc. We have packages that include authored DVDs, then we have less expensive packages that don't include a chaptered DVD, very popular during the down economy. For the ones that don't include an authored DVD, we cut them on FC then dub a hi-res archive copy to XDCAM disc in real time. At the same time, we record a 16X9 SD DVD using a desktop DVD player/recorder. Up to this point it’s a very efficient workflow.

Here's where it gets a little less efficient. We can't just give the client the dubbed DVD because it has an unprofessional looking menu at the beginning that the DVD recorder automatically puts on there. So we quickly load it to a PC and "demux" it, essentially removing the cheap menu and creating another DVD. I'm not the one who does that but I think it's a quick process to load it to the PC, then the PC takes about ten mins to do it. It just seems like an archaic, inefficient process to have to make this additional DVD.

Does anyone have an idea for removing this step? Ie is there a desktop 16X9 SD DVD player/recorder that will record without the cheap menu at the beginning? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Thomas H

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Recording a DVD Without the Cheesy Menu
on Aug 13, 2010 at 7:42:20 pm

I'd ask dealers- chances are one exists but typically it's much easier to control when you do this from your desktop computer... For example you could easily use the Share tool or Compressor/DVDSP or even iMovie to quickly author a DVD from your ingests in FCP. And with proper matching timecode to boot...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Aug 14, 2010 at 7:26:04 am

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder at work. In the menu that has the FINALISE function, there is an option to "Autoplay". The cheesy menu is still there in the background (I think) but when they put the disc in, they never get to see it.

For some things, I use Toast to create an Autoplay DVD (sans menu) from a MOV exported from FCP.

Return to posts index

Thomas Hughes
on Aug 14, 2010 at 2:33:50 pm

Martin, What is the model number? I'd like to look into it. Thank you.

Thomas H

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 14, 2010 at 4:21:10 pm

We have a couple different models of the Panasonic DVD recorders, and one of them offers a "first play" autoplay feature that lets you make a DVD without the canned menu. I'm not in the shop right now but next time I am, I'll write down a model number for you.

Return to posts index

Thomas Hughes
on Aug 14, 2010 at 4:28:00 pm

Thanks so much

Thomas H

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 15, 2010 at 4:29:09 pm

Here you go, the model number of the unit we use that offers a choice of going directly to the first recording (track 1) and skipping the canned menus is:

Panasonic DMR-E85H

Works very well, no complaints.

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Aug 16, 2010 at 12:07:42 pm

Sorry. Weekend.

DMR-EZ48V, a VCR/DVD recorder combo. Also has Firewire which is nifty. And it will finalise by ejecting the disc without having to go through a dozen button presses on the remote.

HTH

Return to posts index

Kurt Outwater
on May 19, 2011 at 6:38:04 pm

did you end up getting the Panasonic DMR? Are there any other combo players that don't create a menu on first play that are good?

Thx!

Return to posts index

Thomas Hughes
on May 19, 2011 at 8:05:05 pm

I bought one and I'm trying to remember why it didn't work, but it didn't. When we dub to 16X9 SD DVD, we do it by firewire from an XDCAM deck, the PDW-F70. I'm pretty sure the Panasonic DMR firewire wouldn't communicate with the PDW-F70 firewire. I tried everything and got the manufacturer on the phone, and she eventually concluded that it wasn't compatible with the PDW-F70.

Thomas H

Return to posts index

Kurt Outwater
on May 27, 2011 at 4:48:09 pm

Martin,

How did you enable the Autoplay function so it bypasses the main menu entirely?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]