FORUMS: list search recent posts

Screen Recording for Training Video

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clyde villegas
Screen Recording for Training Video
on Aug 9, 2010 at 11:54:17 pm

I'm going to do a training video for my client's proprietary software. Budget is low and I don't have any client that has the same requirements. So investing in an expensive high-end software will not be worth it because I'll be using it just once. I opt for Camstudio screen recording software (final delivery is on a regular mpeg2 DVD). However, I notice that with images that has gradients, the recorded video exhibits banding. How do I get rid of this problem? Should I buy Camtasia? Thanks guys!

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Screen Recording for Training Video
on Aug 10, 2010 at 2:06:44 pm

I will take a guess.

It may be the way you are recording the files; to make the screenc aptuers look their best, you must record at higher resolution, so check the settings of this software. Or it may be happening once you manipulate the captuered vidoe: it could look fine, but if you bring it into, say, a DV25 timeline to work on, you're killing off a lot of the resolution, and then again, if you compress the result of that for the web. Try to work in the native resolution of the program materials as far as you can, before compressing down to lossy formats. The screen grabbers often eat up massive drive space if recording at full resolution.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Aug 10, 2010 at 2:17:33 pm

Remember that the computer screen resolution is probably much higher than the resolution of the video. Some amount of artifacting is to be expected.

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Aug 10, 2010 at 8:43:03 pm

I adjusted the resolution to highest and the banding was still there. But when I used the Intel Indeo® Video 4.5, the banding was removed (the available codecs are Cinepak Codec by Radius, Intel Indeo® Video 4.5, Microsoft Video 1). Now, my problem is the frame rate. The video is not running smoothly. Here is a screen shot of the options:

http://clydevillegas.com/screen_shot_camstudio.jpg

What do put in the fields? Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 10, 2010 at 10:01:10 pm

Does it run smoothly on another machine?

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Aug 11, 2010 at 7:54:08 am

Using a Core Duo machine, it does not play smoothly when outputing with Intel Indeo Codec and its default settings.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 12, 2010 at 1:02:32 pm

[clyde villegas] "I adjusted the resolution to highest and the banding was still there. But when I used the Intel Indeo® Video 4.5, the banding was removed (the available codecs are Cinepak Codec by Radius, Intel Indeo® Video 4.5, Microsoft Video 1). Now, my problem is the frame rate. The video is not running smoothly."

All three of these codecs were developed in the early 1990s. I don't think any of them are really suited for high resolution, high bit depth, high frame rate screen capture.

Camtasia really is the gold standard for screen capture on a PC. It uses the proprietary TSCC/Ensharpen codec internally, and I've never seen banding in a Camtasia capture.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Aug 12, 2010 at 9:42:39 pm

Thanks, Walter. But do you know of a more affordable substitute that can do the job as well as Camtasia?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 12, 2010 at 11:10:41 pm

Ambrosia's snapz pro?

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Aug 12, 2010 at 11:35:35 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Ambrosia's snapz pro?"

Isn't that Mac only?

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 13, 2010 at 9:47:05 am

Well heck, if you're on a Mac - there's no need for outside software at all.

Quicktime Pro does a really nice desktop action video capture to quicktime right from the finder.

Under the FILE menu, just invoke "New Screen Recording" and make sure you stop the capture before your drive fills up and you're ready to go.

Couldn't be simpler or cheaper.

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Aug 13, 2010 at 4:47:50 pm

I'm working on a PC :(

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 13, 2010 at 12:49:13 am

[clyde villegas] "Thanks, Walter. But do you know of a more affordable substitute that can do the job as well as Camtasia?"

I use and recommend Camtasia on the PC, and ScreenFlow on the Mac. I think TechSmith has a free trial of Camtasia, so you could give it a try and see if you think it's worth the cost.

I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about any of the alternatives.

You might be able to rent a scan converter for less than the purchase price of the software -- though I doubt it would do as good a job.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Gould
on Oct 21, 2010 at 8:27:10 pm

I believe it's a 30 day trial, there was a great review of the latest version in Event DV I think.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]