FORUMS: list search recent posts

Post Project Depression?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob O'HearnPost Project Depression?
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 1:19:44 pm

Is there such a thing? Just finished and delivered a large corporate project for a long time client. And as usual,after the many legal, medical, regulatory changes, and internal mis-communications, just in the nick of time. I feel like I got hit by a truck. I'm a big boy and understand how the world works (for the most part). I get paid very well and can pretty much pick and choose who I want to work with. I have 30 years of sales and marketing experience in large pharmaceutical companies so I get hired for what I know as well as what I know how to do. But I digress. Lately, for a few days after these project completions, my wife says I'm starting to stare vacantly out the window a lot, jump when the phone rings and wince when I check e-mail. Is there a name for this? I love what I do but sometimes I get a little punchy. Do you?
Thanks. I feel better already.

Bob O'Hearn

Return to posts index

Thomas LeongRe: Post Project Depression?
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 3:08:32 pm

Same feeling, always.

Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Post Project Depression?
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 3:15:01 pm

You need to have the next project already in mind, then you won't feel such a "loss". It also may help you to re-charge your creative batteries to make the next thing something really different. Maybe even a freelance/personal project, that you can invest more "ownership" into. The lack of final control or ownership is part of what you're feeling is missing, so do something that's just for you, even something short and goofy for youtube or just your facebook friends, whatever.

And, it might even be something completely outside of your work and expertise zone. When was the last time you did something totally new outside of work? Like took a boat ride, got on a horse for the first time, visited a part of town you never see, painted or drew a picture, recorded yourself playing music or singing 3-part harmony?

And hopefully, you are re-connecting with your significant other after recently spending so much time on the last project. She's your biggest fan, you know. Acknowledge that support and understanding. Go out tonight and find a ballroom dance class to take together. Cha-Cha your brains out, it's a heck of a workout. And all these little extracurricular excursions and experiences have a way of refreshing what you do as the main job.

Return to posts index

Bob O'HearnRe: Post Project Depression?
by on Jul 29, 2010 at 7:17:19 pm

Thank you! I have long been a fan of yours and appreciate your insight and business savvy. My wife is my biggest fan and stays in shape running up the stairs to my studio when I need a set of fresh eyes and some honest input. You're right. Time for a little cha cha cha!

All the best,

Bob O'Hearn

Return to posts index

Noah KadnerRe: Post Project Depression?
by on Jul 31, 2010 at 8:58:37 am

I find myself feeling this way more a bit about narrative projects I'm passionate about sometimes. But the corporate one's are more cut and dry and it's like finishing a nice term paper for school. Satisfying- but doesn't stick in my mind for too long. Perhaps you have another issue worth seeing a pro about? Perhaps we all do... :)

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Post Project Depression?
by on Sep 21, 2010 at 1:15:34 am

Hmm, what aspects of production really drive you? Do those and farm the rest out maybe. If sales and marketing is your thing, why spend 100+ hours editing a project that is just going to send you to the dumps? You could spend that time with sales, marketing and production and keep 2 or 3 editors busy with 2-3x the work you're doing now.

Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved