FORUMS: list search recent posts

3D For Me .

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Stinton3D For Me .
by on Jul 22, 2010 at 3:19:02 pm

It had to happen. I have a client who wants me to produce a short 3D video. After a fruitless Google search for 3D cameras ( coming SOON to a store near you) I find myself throwing myself at the mercy of the combined COW community in the hope that I am not a pioneer.

Doe anybody have any knowledge experience on this subject:)The client has the resources and is serious.

On a lighter note the client thought some shots in space in 3D would be cool. Timothy do you have any space on an upcoming launches? I can stow in the back with my yet to be acquired camera. I'm very quiet and don't need much food.

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: 3D For Me .
by on Jul 22, 2010 at 3:22:33 pm

You probably can't say, but I'd be very curious what the video was of and about, and for what market. As to finding cameras, go back just one or two issues of the COW magazine, there's a whole issue devoted to it. Panasonic's new camera with the built-in 3d is not yet shipping, I don't think, but when it does it ought to garner a lot of rentals.

Return to posts index

Noah KadnerRe: 3D For Me .
by on Jul 22, 2010 at 4:18:57 pm

Depends what you mean by "resources." You can happily rent the PACE 3D rig used by James Cameron on Avatar if you've got the dough. But I suspect that's not really what you meant? If you're talking reasonably good prosumer 3D, well you can either wait for Panasonic or Sony's 3D prosumer cameras coming later this year or make your own. For example you can easily gang together two EX1s or HVX200 with an off the shelf 3D camera rig such as:

http://www.pstechnik.de/en/3d-rig.php

Not sure what part you're playing for your client- assuming DP but they really need to seek out and hire a stereographer if they want the job done right. 3D is a buzz word these days but not a ton of work is really being done below the level of the event film.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Andy StintonRe: 3D For Me .
by on Jul 22, 2010 at 4:50:09 pm

The client wants to create a " cool" space on a trade show floor for VIP clients.

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

by on Jul 22, 2010 at 5:37:12 pm

Is the 3-D demoing something specific like a product, say, a medical scanner? Or is it more like an entertainment thing? You know, like Doctor Tongue's 3-d House of Pancakes?

Or is it something like a 3d avatar spokesmodel thing? I'm asking because what the specific goal is, pretty much drives the choices of shooting and display technology for it.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 22, 2010 at 10:05:09 pm

"The client wants to create a " cool" space on a trade show floor for VIP clients."

That's nice- but practically speaking how can we help you?

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 23, 2010 at 4:44:57 am

Noah. Sorry if I was not specific enough

My role is the production company for the whole event. The 3D part is just one element of it. We would produce about 5- 3min films coupled with environmental effects within the area. Some would be projected and others be shown on LCD's .

I was trying to ascertain the price and availability of equipment and personnel to assess the viability of the 3d video project.

I found your comment "but not a ton of work is really being done below the level of the event film."very motivational. Its those new expanding markets that my company likes to develop.
The live event/staging industry is very competitive and I see this as possible point of difference.

Its seems that already the cameras are on there way in the next few months and at affordable prices.

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

by on Jul 23, 2010 at 4:49:25 am

yeah the Panasonic and Sony cameras are real no brainers for getting decent i.e. not Avatar but better than Clash of the Titans level 3D. So if you can hold things off for a quarter you'll be good to go. Otherwise, look into the rigs I mentioned.

Noah

Return to posts index

by on Jul 23, 2010 at 5:08:15 am

These guys are just basically making a large teleprompter with a pepper's ghost illusion.

http://www.tradeshowhologram.com/

You could do something even larger than this sample above, using really powerful projectors and either a taut plastic film or the fine projection screen material they use at the "Ghosts of the Library" exhibit at the Abe Lincoln presidential Library and Museum. It is really just 2-d video in high def, projected onto a beamsplitter, moderated by controlled lighting. But when done right, still very impressive. And because it is a 2-d projection, you could feed it pre-recorded or live material, say, from a hidden booth off to the side, where the spokesmodel sits or stands in a booth or greenscreen set, shot by a camera.

Other non- TV type displays involve projecting onto a curtain of specially compressed laminar flowing air... or a waterfall of fan-driven mist or fog. Very good for a trade show patio area, where you can control the viewing angles and lighting. Or a display based on persistence of vision effect could project lasers on a spinning blade, or the blade can carry LEDs that will seem to write in thin air. Googe POV illusion displays for that one. I bet the guys in the COW live/stage forum would be able to point you to resources for executing thi stuffs on whatever budget you might have.
Tell them Woody Tobias Jr. sent you.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 23, 2010 at 5:15:05 am

http://www.io2technology.com/

dded

Return to posts index

by on Jul 23, 2010 at 2:17:04 pm

This guy has some demos ofcamera setups and the editing software for making real 3-d videos and not just anaglyph 2-color type:

http://stereopictures.de/premiere-pro-cs5-stereoscopic-3d-video-editing-wit...

Once again, Adobe Premiere is kicking Apple's butt, this time in 3-d.

Return to posts index

Corbin GrossRe: 3D For Me .
by on Jul 23, 2010 at 5:56:24 pm

I'm not the expert here, so I apologize if I'm out of place...

But could you have something animated instead of filming?

I don't know which would be more expensive/complicated to produce but I'd be interested to find out.

Corbin Gross
Creative Services
Marketing
SanMar Corp.

Return to posts index

Kai CheongRe: 3D For Me .
by on Jul 24, 2010 at 6:11:14 am

Disclaimer: I have practically NO IDEA how these work - but I did discover this new gizmo off my Twitterlist... might give some ideas:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_photo?ie=UTF8&search-alias=photo&field-br...

Kai
FCP Editor / Producer with Intuitive Films
http://kai-fcp-editor.blogspot.com
--
Now 'LIVE'! Check Out The Intuitive Films Blog @ http://intuitive-films.blogspot.com

At Intuitive Films, We Create: TV Commercials, Documentaries, Corporate Videos and Feature Films
Visit us @ http://www.intuitivefilms.com
--
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | FCP 5.1.4 | Mac OS X 10.5.7

8-Core Intel Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8GB RAM | FCP 6.0.2 | Mac OS X 10.5.6 | 3.0TB CalDigit VR | 2 x 24" Dell S2409W

Return to posts index

by on Jul 26, 2010 at 3:48:10 pm

Thanks to all those that gave such great advice. I've done some of the staging "3D" tricks before... many many years ago.. I guess everything that's old is new again.

I'm for sure going to check out the Panasonic 3D camera which might be a sound investment for the future. I think that offering this service to clients may be advantageous.

It's a strange world where consumers/clients are getting their hands on technology like 3D monitors and cameras before we "pros" can get into the production game.. Hey on my research I even saw an Iphone 3D app..

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]