FORUMS: list search recent posts

archiving project files

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clyde villegas
archiving project files
on Jun 20, 2010 at 2:13:44 pm

Do you guys archive project files (like Premiere Pro file including downloaded raw files)?

I'm asking because one of my clients asked for another version of their video, so I need to open the project file again and do some editing. It was a good thing that the whole project folder was not yet deleted from the internal hard drive. I usually delete only when I'm really sure I won't need the project file again.

If you only archive the finished video, what format do you use for archiving?

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: archiving project files
on Jun 21, 2010 at 11:44:11 pm

In FCP we typically Media Manage the whole thing to an archived version. Typically the final edit and trims of all used media with +/- 3 second handles. I imagine Premiere has a similar function.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 23, 2010 at 2:58:16 pm

[clyde] I usually delete only when I'm really sure I won't need the project file again.

I have found that you will always be surprised with a project that needs to be changed. Back up every project.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jun 28, 2010 at 1:29:34 pm

"I usually delete only when I'm really sure I won't need the project file again."

If you can determine that definitively, you could probably make more money as a psychic than as a video producer. :-)

The project file (and other production "meta-data") is so small (compared to the raw video files), that there is no good reason not to archive them. I always preserve ALL the production files, the raw video, audio, stills, titles, etc. AND the project file (edit-list, etc.) I NEVER know when I will need to make a revision to a project.

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Jun 28, 2010 at 9:27:23 pm

LOL! I might take a psychic class...

Yes, the project file is small. But when I color correct the raw files in After Effects and save them as lossless (or even quicktime animation), the footages become really big. When I asked about archiving, I'm talking about the whole folder containing the project file, raw videos, and color corrected footages. My average project consumes about 150 gigabytes of internal hard drive. So I was thinking of archiving them to an external hard drive and adding the cost of the hard drive to my price. The only problem is, from where I live, that small increase in cost is usually an issue to most clients.

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jun 28, 2010 at 9:35:38 pm

"when I color correct the raw files in After Effects and save them as lossless (or even quicktime animation), the footages become really big."

Can you not just store the meta-data of what color correction you applied?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 28, 2010 at 9:43:55 pm

If you do back files up on a hard drive be sure to spin them up twice a year or the magnetics will fade and you will lose your information on your hard drive.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Scott Carnegie
on Jul 20, 2010 at 8:40:53 pm

I work on Avid. I archive the project, all sources files, rendered files and consolidate the finished project and keep all of the material I used and delete what I didn't use.

Sometimes I won't consolidate but delete all of the raw video if I have a tape source if it is a long project like an event video. If I ever need to bring it back I batch capture from the original tape.

http://www.MediaCircus.TV
Media Production Services
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]