FORUMS: list search recent posts

** Seeking solution for "packaging" a training video

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gilles Gagnon
** Seeking solution for "packaging" a training video
on May 11, 2010 at 7:34:23 pm

Hello everyone,

I shot a video of a seminar in which the presenter was using a powerpoint presentation.

I would like to package this, or should I say, create a product which will be used for training purposes.

I could create a DVD with the seminar on it, along with the powerpoint slides cut-in, but I'm looking for a better solution.

I guess what I'm asking is: What is the best way to create a "training" module using video?

any ideas?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: ** Seeking solution for "packaging" a training video
on May 11, 2010 at 8:09:48 pm

Hi again, Gilles, so, the session went well?

If you are making a DVD, I would suggest letting it be easily navigable by the users so they can self-direct it to the parts of most interest to them. It is boring as a viewer to have to only play thru linearly, when you only need to go to one or two certain parts. For that, a simple main menu screen with direct buttons to each chapter or topic would work. At the end of those chapters, you should set the chapter to either loop back to the menu, or to play thru the rest of the chapters to the end, then the end of the last chapter loops back to the main menu.

You can also reserve a section of the DVD, if authoring in Apple DVDSP, for the actual slides used, as a slide-show operated by the DVD remote, or as the powerpoint file itself, that can be copied off the DVD and run on the local computer (assuming they have a DVD drive in that computer). That extra materials section can hold all kinds of things, from images to documents, forms, pdf files for posters they can print out, completion certificates, spreadsheets... anything that will fit. Then you don't have to try and bundle any paperwork along with the disk, and it never gets separated from that disk. The only down side is that you can't update the documetns without re-making the DVD, so the documents had better be things that don't go stale quickly. Such a DVD can play normally on a regular DVD player, but you won't be able to access the "bonus content" unless you play it using a computer.

Return to posts index

David Lees
on May 11, 2010 at 10:55:41 pm

Most of the advancement on this the powerpoint lecture front is coming from online e-learning companies. They will have the video play and at the same time have the power point play in sync. It's just for online use, but if you are interested there are companies that offer their software or services. For small projects it could be cost prohibited.

Regards,

David Lees | Producer | Key West Video
BLOG: http://corporate-video-consultant.blogspot.com/
20th year | 8 awards | Fortune 500
http://www.keywestvideo.com

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on May 11, 2010 at 11:09:01 pm

Check out (free) Microsoft Producer. It allows you to produce content (either on a web server or on a disk) that shows the PPT slide and the live-action video concurrently. It has one frame that fills most of the screen, and a smaller (inset) frame. You can control which content (PPT or live video) appears in which frame. You can also provide clickable indexes so that the viewer can have direct access to sections. Recommended. Did I mention that it is FREE?

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on May 12, 2010 at 12:31:31 am

Thanks to every one for your comments.

@Mark: yes I was going to do DVD with chapters but would rather a more consolidated pkg that's easier to navigate and has more of a "training" look and feel.

However, I LOVE the idea of including the extras on a DVD! I didn't know I could do this. I use DVD Architect to author, I'll have to figure out if it allows this feature.-Thanks!

@David: indeed, I did come across many companies presenting the training via SCORM videos. I think it's overkill/out of the league for this project. ANd.. I don't like to be dependent on a third party to host it.

@Richard: WOW! I'll definitely check MS Producer. It almost sounds too good to be true. Off to download it now. Thanks!

Gilles

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
Re: ** Seeking solution for
on May 12, 2010 at 1:04:45 am

Very strange Richard,
I'm finally hardly any documenation/references to this MS Producer.

I'm wonder if it's even "supported"?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on May 12, 2010 at 1:55:07 pm

Not sure what you are asking? Are you saying that you couldn't find the download on the MS website? When I went to http://www.microsoft.com and used their search for producer the first hit took me directly to the download page.

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on May 12, 2010 at 7:16:33 pm

No problems getting the downlaod link Richard.

Just that I did searches to get some info on the product and didn't come up with much. I did get a few old, vague articles about it but not much substantial. Couldn't find much doc or tutorials.

I may just have to play with it.

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
on May 13, 2010 at 8:38:05 pm

Found this review
Seems pretty strightforward. However, can it output something other than webpages and WM9 files?

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on May 13, 2010 at 9:12:27 pm

Thanks for this Terry. I hadn't come across this one.

It helped. I may give it whirl and see if it will suit my needs.
g

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on May 25, 2010 at 9:12:22 pm

Skip the ppt. They could have gotent hat at the live presentation or on the web. Just make it cool.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]