FORUMS: list search recent posts

25o copies needed on DVD

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Herr25o copies needed on DVD
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 4:57:58 pm

Hello all,

A corp client is going to need 250 copies of the finished DVD which will have to be a dual layer as the speaker is talking for 3-4 hours.

Can someone get me started on how I contract with a dvd duplicator house and what the gotchas are?

I assume I could purchase a small duplicator unit but maybe that would be a bad idea and it is just too big a job.

And the Verbatim dual layer disks I have found are "thermal" and I don't know what printer works with them.
Thanks,
Al

Return to posts index

Kevin RossiterRe: 25o copies needed on DVD
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 5:06:31 pm

I hate DVD. I always incline my clients towards getting their own dupes done.

If I do the dupes, I have to mark up, and I know they're going to sooner or later suss out my mark-up, and one of us is going to feel ripped-off :) :) :)

Charge them for a master and artwork, them let them get on with it.

(I know, this isn't the answer requested ;)

Rossiter & Co Video Multimedia Web for Business
http://www.rossiterandco.com

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: 25o copies needed on DVD
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 6:17:11 pm

Kevin's idea may work for him. Most of our clients have the expectation that we will deliver a complete solution and accept the fact that we have a mark-up because we're in business.

I had a great experience with Matt Townley at MST Productions. He's helpful and, in my experience, honest. See:

http://mstproductions.com

Return to posts index

Al HerrRe: 25o copies needed on DVD
by on Jan 28, 2010 at 12:28:32 am

I was wondering about that - telling the customer to do their own dupes and how that would effect biz...

I think they want me to do it ...

I have probably given them too low a price as I don't know what a dupe house is going to charge but I told them the price could change and they said ok.

I am going to start shopping around in the local Raleigh, NC area.
Thanks Nick and Kevin.

Al

alchemyvideo.biz

Return to posts index

Alan SmithRe: 25o copies needed on DVD
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 2:52:33 pm

I offer this service as part of our production. I do short run duplication. We print directly to the media and do all the duplication in house. If you would like me to offer a quote or information feel free to email me at asmith at media317.com.

Alan Smith
Media317

Check out my blog - http://media317.com

Return to posts index

Al HerrRe: 25o copies needed on DVD
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 3:49:51 pm

Ok , contacting you....

Al

alchemyvideo.biz

Return to posts index

Kevin RossiterRe: 25o copies needed on DVD
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 3:08:29 pm

When clients prefer me to take care of duping (because they're too busy, too lazy, or it's beneath them) I tell them that we mark it up and that we overcharge (relatively speaking), and that they can get it miles cheaper online.

A few still let us do their duping. But most take our advice.

I prefer to tell them before they figure it out for themselves and secretly call me a "rip-off bastard" (while smiling to my face, of course :) :) :)

But moving on:

How many here now have regular dupe clients?

Like clients who used to order 50 disks a month, regular as clockwork, that suddenly vanished overnight ie they now order online.

The other thing I hate about dupes (ranting now ... he he) is the sheer messy bother of them - printing, boxes, paper, posting, blah.

(I'd better stop ranting now ... meep)

But I won't:

Where clients want our delivery expertise today is how to successfully stream with mp4, tagging videos, video site maps, web site screen sizes, how to provide alternative bandwidth streams, nice looking players, ipad & iphone compatibility etcetera etcetera

Streaming options is the new "dupe", and they should pay for this know-how, and not get it free.

Rossiter & Co Video Multimedia Web for Business
http://www.rossiterandco.com

Return to posts index

Alan LloydRe: 25o copies needed on DVD
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 3:51:40 pm

ADS Group, Plymouth, MN. Good people there, and they do good work.

(I know people who work there but have no direct involvement in their replicating business.)

Return to posts index

Matt TownleyRe: 25o copies needed on DVD
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 3:58:09 pm

Hi Al, I've had the pleasure to work with Nick and a a number of other people from the Cow. We're located outside of San Francisco, but do work for clients globally. Our primary business is duplication/replication and I would be happy to give you another quote or help answer any questions. Feel free to email me, matt (at) mstproductions.com.

Cheers!
Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]