FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uploading client preview videos

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris TomkinsUploading client preview videos
by on Nov 12, 2009 at 12:12:31 am

I'm just wondering what other people do about uploading videos to the web for clients to preview?

A lot of my clients have internal IT situations where YouTube is blocked (not that we'd ever put a client video up on YouTube) but they also block some other video types, such as Vimeo etc.

I also want to keep these videos on my website (ie. on a page that looks like my website, under my domain).

So at the moment I use a little javascript FLV player, which is effective but a lot of work... I have to manually compress the video to FLV, upload the FLV and create a new html page (in Dreamweaver) with the embedded javascript. Most of our clients can view these videos in their offices, so that's a big benefit.

So - does anyone have any better solutions? My dream would be a "YouTube" style environment where you upload the video and the other side does the compression, and then gives an embed code I can include on an html page on my site...

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Uploading client preview videos
by on Nov 12, 2009 at 12:26:47 pm

[Chris Tomkins] "effective but a lot of work"

Chris, you're spending too much time on something which can be easily accomplished with one GREAT solution: MediaBatch Pro. Not only is it a snap for you to upload and your clients to view videos, it includes the ability for clients to set marks and draw on top of videos, leave notes, indicate approval and more. I can't, and I know several others who can't imagine life without it.

Return to posts index

Chris TomkinsRe: Uploading client preview videos
by on Nov 13, 2009 at 3:58:21 pm

Sounds brilliant... will give it a try. That's sounds exactly what I'm after...

Return to posts index

Richard KeatingRe: Uploading client preview videos
by on Nov 16, 2009 at 10:03:26 pm

Hi Chris

I was having the same problem two years back and was looking for a solution. Media Batch
was great for collaboration between tech savvy peers, but for end clients who were mostly technologically challenged, the interface was was somewhat daunting. I needed something that was extremely simple on the client end. I decided to build my own tool. The result is ScreenLight (, an online service that provides video editors and producers with a fast and secure way to screen videos for clients, collect their feedback, and get projects approved.

The project is currently in beta testing stage, so visit the site and sign up for a free beta account. We plan to launch commercially early 2010, so use it free while you can.

Richard Keating.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Uploading client preview videos
by on Nov 16, 2009 at 10:48:12 pm

[Richard Keating] "but for end clients who were mostly technologically challenged, the interface was was somewhat daunting."

My experience was that the tech challenged clients needed to be talked through the first use, generally have yet to take advantage of any of the annotation features, but except for that very first time have no trouble whatsoever using MediaBatch as a viewer. Many clients routinely ask us to use MediaBatch for other purposes such as putting up a library of still photos that their sales force can download and other forms of non-video data transfer. Everybody loves the interface... in my experience.

Richard, if you can keep your price commensurate with your feature set there may be a place for your product, but my clients and I are solidly behind MediaBatch.

Return to posts index

Chris TomkinsRe: Uploading client preview videos
by on Nov 17, 2009 at 3:25:36 am

Hi Richard

Checked out the website and it looks pretty cool too. Probably a better solution for my clients who tend to be on the "too many options hurt my brain" bandwagon. Looking forward to beta testing it...

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Uploading client preview videos
by on Nov 19, 2009 at 9:03:16 pm

We use two primary methods, plus a third for bigger jobs.

1. Just a simple index.php file in the web directory that automatically displays all files placed in the directory. We just have to remind folks to "right click" to save the files to their computers - something that is not common knowledge.

Never post files for download that are non-standard, such as Quicktime or Flash.

What's that you say? Quicktime is non-standard? In some settings it is. Know your client.

2. We have a few boilerplate FLV or M4V player templates (plays either format) - runs with php and javascript. Just copy the folder on your web server and change out the video files. You only need to edit the index.htm file for your project details. Takes about 2 minutes plus of course the time to upload your files, which you have to do no matter what system you are using.

3. For large projects with a lot of assets (text, images, video) we setup a customized review site. Again, you only need to update a htm file for each project and copy and paste code for different functions. It even includes comment fields that save comments to a database for retrieval via xls file. The site shows the comments of everyone on the same web page as the original content, and you can set permissions to hide the comments if you want to keep them private.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Kai CheongRe: Uploading client preview videos
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 3:26:21 pm

What's that you say? Quicktime is non-standard? In some settings it is. Know your client.

True that. Most of the time, my clients need .WMV - Quicktime just doesn't come pre-installed in their workstations and they don't have the system access to install any kind of software. Apparently workplace IT admins are not big on employees adding stuff they would find useful [though I can understand where they're coming from, esp. in a big organization].

It it were up to me, I would definitely prefer they take Quicktime. I can do quick cluster encoding in Compressor but can't do the same for .WMV encoding in MPEG Streamclip - speeds things up so much. Plus, I find H.264 .MOVs give me better quality.

I do the upload to our server and dropping a note to the client to 'right click', too. It's usually pretty foolproofed.

FCP Editor / Producer with Intuitive Films
Now 'LIVE'! Check Out The Intuitive Films Blog @

At Intuitive Films, We Create: TV Commercials, Documentaries, Corporate Videos and Feature Films
Visit us @
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | FCP 5.1.4 | Mac OS X 10.5.7

8-Core Intel Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8GB RAM | FCP 6.0.2 | Mac OS X 10.5.6 | 3.0TB CalDigit VR | 2 x 24" Dell S2409W

Return to posts index

Scott CarnegieRe: Uploading client preview videos
by on Nov 24, 2009 at 3:06:03 pm

I have a wordpress based site. I make a FLV of the video in Sorenson and upload it to my server. I make a password protetced page in wordpress and put in the code I need to have the FLV playback.

It's pretty manual but I don't have a lot of client approval videos to put up. Once it's encoded it only takes a few minutes to do.

Media Production Services
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: Uploading client preview videos
by on Nov 28, 2009 at 11:23:56 pm

On our Web directory of our hosting company server we just add a new folder to the root directory and add whatever files the client needs to see. They can be anything except Flash (which needs additional code to create the player).

If we want them to see a simple text directory of the files we put there we send them a link in an email to the directory. If we want them to view a video we send a link to the file....they look like this:

This shows them a simple text directory of the files we put there for them.

This link will immediately display the video and start playing after buffering.

Now this does not provide any feedback except an email back to us but it has been working pretty well for some time.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post

Return to posts index

Jeff BonanoRe: Uploading client preview videos
by on Nov 29, 2009 at 3:49:17 am

My web designer and I are working on a similar project for my company's website too. He's actually incorporating a SQL Database with a Client login page.

I can create a unique username and password for my client which they can then share that information with whomever they choose and can log in to add comments, approve work, or order additional DVD's, etc... I can log in and see all comments from all my clients, make my own and update the work when it's available.

I like the way we are building it because it gives our clients more secure access especially if it's sensitive material they don't want anyone to see until the project is finished.

Jeff Bonano

"I want to have a cool quote at the bottom of my signature, just like everyone else on the cow forum!" -Jeff Bonano

Return to posts index

John BaumchenRe: Uploading client preview videos
by on Dec 3, 2009 at 10:59:07 pm

You didn't say what you were using for editing. I use Adobe Premiere CS4 and output video in the form of Adobe Clipnotes. Works like a charm and I get xml data back of client comments that goes onto my edit timeline.

Return to posts index

Matthew ChiumentoRe: Uploading client preview videos
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 8:51:12 pm

I use Brainshark..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved