FORUMS: list search recent posts

LaCie LaCinema Rugged HD Mini Review

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny GrizzleLaCie LaCinema Rugged HD Mini Review
by on Oct 20, 2009 at 11:53:35 pm

Until now, I have been doing SD only to Panasonic 50" plasma monitors in our various offices. For this, I have been using Pioneer Professional DVD-V5000 players.

Blu-ray authoring and replication is difficult on any platform and nearly impossible on the Macintosh. Plus Blu-ray players are large, complex, and expensive.

The new LaCie LaCinema Rugged HD is an exciting development for corporate video. This tiny 500GB USB disk drive with built-in HDMI output makes it quick and easy to distribute HiDef video in any format up to and including 1080p.

At $299, this gadget delivers stunning quality and replaces a more expensive DVD deck capable of standard definition only. Physically, the drive is a designer black housing encased in a black silicone rubber bumper. Quite robust for frequent handling at trade shows, etc. A handheld remote control is included.

My tests with this device are promising, though I have not yet experimented with autoplay and looping functions that are essential for unattended operation in lobbies and exhibits. But first impressions are very exciting, and this device appears to meet all my requirements for a low cost, simple way to distribute internal HD video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved