FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live Backup

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff HughesLive Backup
by on Oct 20, 2009 at 6:47:41 pm

Okay...first let me say: Please Please Please don't shoot the messenger!!!
Here is the situation,
I need to be able to capture live from my camera to a dvd recorder. The setup now is recording on the cams mini dv tape, running from the cam to a vhs vcr for backup. We would like to add in a dvd recorder, but HAVE TO keep the vhs backup. I know, I know..."who in the world uses vhs anymore?" I've been trying to convince them to go to a laptop backup using Adobe OnLocation so we have a digital file to use however we need it...

Anyways, suggestions on dvd recorders that would take a live input? Oh, and here's another twist for ya: it has to be an analog input on the dvd recorder because we have to capture the date stamp from the camera.

Thank you all and please feel free to respond when you get down laughing at:

Thanks again,

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Live Backup
by on Oct 20, 2009 at 9:09:05 pm

This sounds really easy if composite SD video is all you need; Walmart sells tunerless DVD recorders for well under a hundred bucks.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Live Backup
by on Oct 20, 2009 at 9:17:40 pm

Forgot to add: come out of the camera to a $20 video distribution amp, and a cheap radio shack audio mixer, and you can feed the VHS at the same time you burn the DVD.

If your budget is a little bigger, shop for a used Panasonic combo DVD recorder with built-in hard drive, which can simul-record to Hard drive and DVD: then you can dub additional DVD's from the hard drive faster than real time, or let a customer walk out with a finalized DVD while you still have a master copy in the hard drive.

Return to posts index

Joel ServetzRe: Live Backup
by on Nov 3, 2009 at 4:05:56 am

The combo hard drive/dvd recorder is a good suggestion. Also, the Sony VRDMC6 dvd recorder is a neat little machine, takes composite and firewire, has a cute little built-in monitor, produces very good quality dvds even from composite. Viewed on my 46" Sony Bravia it looked really good.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved