FORUMS: list search recent posts

Awards for Corporate Videos

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noah Kadner
Awards for Corporate Videos
on Aug 26, 2009 at 3:45:47 pm

We've recently completed an industrial for a corporate client who would like to have a little recognition for the content. Mostly because this would help legitimize it a bit with the intended audience. Can anyone suggest awards I can submit it for? It's a solid video, shot on RED, good location work etc.

thanks,
Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Awards for Corporate Videos
on Aug 26, 2009 at 3:55:32 pm

Tellys are good for this. You can try for local Emmy's as well, or for Hugos, but those will cost a lot to enter and have very strict criteria.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 26, 2009 at 5:22:44 pm

I think the Aurora Awards are a good one as well. However, they are considered less prestigious then a Telly.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out the TV Show Open I did.

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 29, 2009 at 12:42:10 am

Uh,

Prestegious? Well, Uh, if you say so. But I don't think any of the "for profit" awards where the award fee is a profit generator for the company hosting said awards has much of anything to do with production quality.

Research any of these "pay to play" awards. None of them have any real objective standards posted as to what constitutes quality or why one submission is chosen over another (presuming that some submitters actually "lose" to others for reasons other than a subjective single judges "whim." Also troubling is that in the years when I looked into them, they never seemed to have published panels of who was doing said "judging" - you know, recognizable names with verifiable industry expertise, perhaps? That would be nice, don't you think?

I see them largely as "purchased" awards. Nothing more.

In fact, tell you what. Go online and find a really spiffy trophy or plaque. Have it engraved with something really laudatory about your production efforts. Send it to me with an extra $100 and I'll return it to you as a certified "Billy" award! You'll probably save money and get a much more impressive award!

Just my opinion, and as such, worth precisely what you paid for it.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 31, 2009 at 2:46:16 pm

Bill,
Looks like you don't like the Emmy Award. The Regional emmy for your home state will cost about $145 buck to enter for non-members. And they don't post judges names like the Telly Award do. Plus they don't tell you why someone won, other then the judges felt they where worthy of the award. It's funny, I've never heard an Emmy refereed to as a "purchased" award.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 1, 2009 at 9:28:34 pm

OK, maybe it's as simple as this.

I've never known intermediate or below level work be granted an EMMY. Regional or otherwise.

I've known MULTIPLE examples of work that even the PRODUCERS would agree was done earlier in their careers and that makes them CRINGE now - that resulted in yet another TELLY on the shelf.

Now, I'm going to moderate this with saying that all this happened back maybe 10 or 15 years ago, when I briefly thought about entering work in the "contest" - and discussed it with some peers.

Even those holding the awards held the opinion that it was as much pay for play as it was an objective qualitative standards based process.

Maybe it's different today.

I know a LOT of people who hang here have TELLYS on the shelf.

So what's YOUR opinion TELLY holders.

Looking back, was the award for objective quality judged against real industry standards. Or did you pay the money, and get the award for OK work as you judge it from your professional standards as they exist today?

Or put simply, does TELLY signify "outstanding, absolutely top-of-the-class award-worthy work when compared to all others" - to you? Cuz that's what any trophy's supposed to come for, right?

Truly curious.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 1, 2009 at 10:09:18 pm

If you are only "buying" an award, I would challenge you to submit your worst work you have done this year and claim your Telly trophy. Let me know how that works out for you. The Telly Awards receives in excess of 14,000 entries each year. Approximately 7 to 10% of entrants are chosen as Silver Telly Award winners. When you consider that entrants submit only their very best work as well as the extremely high number of entrants, this number should show that you just can't buy the award.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 2, 2009 at 6:22:01 am

The site itself indicates that "7-10 percent of over 13,000 entries receive Silver awards. And 18-25% receive Bronze awards.

SO .... more than one out of 4 entries "wins" an award. Or perhaps ONE IN THREE!

What a contest!

Plus, with 14,000 plus entries - you've got to wonder how the judges manage to sit down and rate EACH ONE on their 9 point sheet.

Look, I'm sorry, but I can't image a system that rationally churns through that much raw footage and comes out with anything approaching a list of 1400 "winners" with any meaningful analysis of whether tape 872 is better or worse than tape 1,109. I'm very skeptical that this can be done.

So it's a raw numbers game at best. And that means the 1400 "Silver" winners are, at BEST - the result of a game effort on the part of an overworked small group of people who must be wading through all the dreck (the 2/3rds of NOT winners!) for what? For supporting the industry? Bull. They do it because they make MONEY at it. And if it's a contest where the people at the top make more money when they give out MORE awards, then the judging has to be above reproach. And how can that be with 14,000 entrants per year and god knows HOW many hours of viewing and winnowing required to make a sensible assessment of relative merit?

Look, there's nothing wrong with seeking an award for your good work.

And selling award trophys is an defensible business.

I just can't figure out how MERIT can be fairly figured in a BUSINESS model that has at it's core, financial success based on mass participation - and who gives out way more than a thousand "outstanding" prizes every year.

YMMV.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 2, 2009 at 4:15:13 pm

Bill, this is my last post in this thread. It is obvious that no matter what I write you will never change your mind on this subject and I don't think anything you write will change my mind. The fact is, you had a bunch of reasons why the Tellys and other awards suck ( your first post ), that quickly went away when you found out the Emmys act the same way.

I'm happy you and others don't submit to any awards. If you and I are going after the same client, the big trophy case with impressive looking shiny things can give me an advantage over you. The whole reason this conversation was started was over seeking PR.

[Bill] I see them largely as "purchased" awards. Nothing more.

Could you imagine going to the local fast food restaurant and only getting your food you payed for 1 out of 2 times. I'm not a mathematician, but I think you are purchasing air as opposed to food. Meaning, you are not purchasing food. aka, you can't just purchase a Telly award. I'm still excited to hear about what happened when you submitted your worst video you have done this year to the Tellys.

[Bill] The site itself indicates that "7-10 percent of over 13,000 entries receive Silver awards. And 18-25% receive Bronze awards. SO .... more than one out of 4 entries "wins" an award. Or perhaps ONE IN THREE! What a contest!

As I said, people only submit their best stuff. You are implying that everyone is submitting crap. If you only submit the best video you did this whole year wouldn't you expect for it to win. The Tellys do European Style Judging, meaning, a bar is set and anyone who can jump over it wins. Meaning, all the crapy video shouldn't win. Bill, before you say this is stupid, read the guidelines for your regional Emmy. Page 6 on the one I have says this," Non-competitive judging: Entries are judged against a standard of excellence and do not compete against each other. There may be one award, more than one award or no award given in each category.

[Bill] Plus, with 14,000 plus entries - you've got to wonder how the judges manage to sit down and rate EACH ONE on their 9 point sheet.

What are you talking about. You think the same judges panel watches every video? The Tellys have multiple judges panels. Just like the Emmys. Read page 6 on Judging Procedures for the Emmys. They have multiple panels of judges so a panel only has to watch a small number of the entries submitted.

[Bill] They do it because they make MONEY at it.

Yes, I work for money as well. I hope most of us do. Does that some how make the video I do not good. I'm sure the fee to enter the Emmys, which is more then the Tellys and the fee for an extra trophy that is $300 dollars and the fee for the Plaque that is $125 - $100 and the fee for a production certificate that is $25 represents the true cost of those items and that the NATAS doesn't make any money at all.

Lastly, Noah asked where he could submit an Industrial/corporate video. Those are not eligible for the Emmy, an award you feel has merit. Why don't you help him out and answer the question with some names of competitions that have merit that he can submit his video to, since you feel my answer sucks.

As I said, this is my last post so feel free to write whatever you want knowing that you have the last word. Bill, I sincerely wish you the best of luck in all of your endeavors.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 5, 2009 at 9:41:02 pm

We have a few Cine Golden Eagle awards displayed in our lobby for work done in the early 90's. They do look cool. But you need to define why you want to enter a contest.
If you happen to win, and can get some local press, that could be good for business.
If you want some trophies to display, go for it.
I think a better solution is to display positive feedback from clients for the work you did for them.

We use a few testimonials from customers in our marketing. Years ago I did a series of videos on prevention of scald injuries in children. I got a nice letter from the NY State Commissioner of public Health thanking me for my efforts. That is much nicer than an award, in my opinion.
Occasionally I get copied on an email from a client in which my name or company is mentioned in a positive way - that's better than an award.
Word of mouth gets around, and non-clients hear good things that we have done for our clients, and these other companies call us wanting to be clients too. That's much better than an award.

Granted, if the client wants to enter a contest, they are welcome to do so.

Above all else, know that the work you do for others is as good as you can make it, and that you are getting paid to do this good work. If a client wants recognition for your work, then that is bonus.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 6, 2009 at 2:06:35 am

I was going to keep quiet about the whole thing since I've said all I wanted to.

But I had to laugh today when my mailbox held a nice 4 color glossy brochure calling for entries for the...

2009 AVA awards!

Presented by the most prestigious professional group I've never heard of in a 30-year career in and around marketing. (Which in itself, says nothing about legitimacy, just perhaps about my sheltered career?)

And I've got to say that these babies look more 'professional" than some of their competitors.
(sleek female figure on a round "tiered" base holding skyward a shiny disc - just like the "famous" awards!)

The price sheet shows $60 per entry plus $25 for a "membership" - the only troubling thing is that it notes that yep, you've got to pony up separate for the 13" statuette complete with "piano finished hardwood base." And no price is given in the brochure for that. (Perhaps hoping that the rosy glow of "winner-hood" counteracts some of the sticker shock? Dunno.

But still, an awards an award. Right? And these folks in Arlington TX sound like they've got some nice shiny hardware available.

Probably a lot actually, since they also run something called the MarCom awards (Marketing communications?) and another one called the Hermes Creative Awards for... well... creative people, I guess.

So gentlemen, start your checkbooks!

Return to posts index

David Richter
on Sep 6, 2009 at 5:44:30 am

For my two cents I would start with the Telly. They are pretty well respected and in my opinion any awards that have winners and losers are worth the time. Not everyone will respect it, however many do, so they tend to be worth the effort and expense.

If you can get an Emmy, that's toward the top of the food chain. Good luck.

David
Richter Studios
http://www.richterstudios.com
Video Production Services | Website Development | Presentation Services

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 7, 2009 at 1:03:17 am

Its summer, so here's a re-run of the previous iteration of this thread. There's a longer response of mine I posted earlier than this, but I can't locate it.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/17/862817#862898

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Timothy J. Allen
on Sep 10, 2009 at 9:15:41 pm

I've won multiple regional Emmys and a few silver Telly Awards. I'm more proud of the Emmys, but I still enter the Tellys from time to time. Why? Simply because I produce a heck of a lot of non-broadcast corporate video which isn't eligible for an Emmy award (because it's never broadcasted).

When we win, I give full credit to the people who financed the production. That lets them know that I appreciate them as a client, and it lets them show their boss that they chose someone who has a reputation for quality. Depending on the product, we might enter another type of awards competition, such as a particular film festival, or public affairs, or education "industry" awards.

This isn't insincere or trite as long as the award is valued by the client. If the client likes shiny awards, and they are proud of them, enough to show their bosses and colleagues, I'll make sure I do my best to deliver a few of those along with the videos.

I think the first poster to this thread is considering entering a competition for precisely the right reasons - marketing and relationship building. If the motivation is self-validation and building up your own ego, a puppy dog works better than a trophy.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Sep 22, 2009 at 1:08:23 am

I've judged Tellys.

They assemble a pretty extensive crew of Silver (the highest form) Telly winners in each genre, then they have us score each entry.

I've also judged Emmys...where we assemble a panel of industry veterans...and score each entry.

In the end these statues are really for the clients anyway, right? I stopped buying the Telly statuettes for a time...but now clients ask about the gap. (bit of a dry spell eh?)

I have a Hugo as well...a bit harder to get than the Emmys I think. Across 49 categories they handed out exactly seven statues that year. A pretty tough crowd there at the Chicago film Festival...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Kevin Rossiter
on Jan 14, 2010 at 9:21:28 am

Hope it's okay to bring this thread slightly back to life, but people's views on awards, especially their cost, or their meaningfulness or validity, or even their concerns over which awards to submit for, are all things to consider.

Like a few here I've won quite a lot of corporate video and multimedia awards, mostly because I've been in the game for a while.

All of these awards came from clients or contractors who submitted, not from me.

Which nicely took care of the registration fee! (often a few hundred quid)

And it makes sense because:

> Clients who commission corporate video or communications are generally the more ambitious types, who'd like public credit for their production. Government / local govt types are keen on this sort of thing.

> Clients who commission video generally have more budget and can afford to pay award registration fees.

> Some companies actually task their directors and senior people with winning awards, as it overall brings credit to their company. They say "right, we want four awards this year. Gottit?!"

On my side, I don't press them to enter.

But there are many creative moments in a production when you know things are going well (goose bump time with client during filming or scripting, anyone?), and it's natural to say "this is award winning stuff"

From then on the client works out the rest for themselves.

And with a bit of luck, you might win something.

The quality of the awards can vary.

But when your production beats a big brand name to win, or the award is international, then it's a good feeling.

And while you get the occasional "Industry Sector No-one's Ever Heard Of" Video Award, it's still a nice feeling.

Of course you can always refuse your award if you feel strongly enough about it :)

Now then ... who'd like me to mail them a $100 plaque :) :) :)

Rossiter & Co Video Multimedia Web for Business
http://www.rossiterandco.com

Return to posts index

Saj Adibs
on Nov 10, 2013 at 8:52:56 pm

Looks now a day the local Emmy is giving awards away to web based content. That's great for more of us creating content that only lives on the web and never sees television release.
Telly and local Emmy are the best two options in my opinion.

Chicago Video production | Chicago video marketing | New Slate Films
Check out http://www.newslatefilms.com for cinematic marketing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]