FORUMS: list search recent posts

Safe area on SD & HD

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos ManuelSafe area on SD & HD
by on Jul 26, 2009 at 3:02:30 pm

Hi all,
Maybe this a silly question but here it goes.

Since ever in SD (uhhhh...) I have care with the safety areas of the frame - Image and Title.

When I do a video in SD, even when it plays on flat screens I take this in consideration.

When a SD image, for ex. a DVD, is played on a LCD, the player/TV zooms it to full screen and crops (±) on the Safe Image area.

Yesterday I've tryed to play a still picture (1920x1080) on a recent HD TV and it shows ALL the image. The 1920 x 1080 pixels can be watched.

Does this means that when working in HD the "good old" safetys are to forget?

I'm going to render a small H264 in 1920x1080 and watch carefully the result.

Return to posts index

Noah KadnerRe: Safe area on SD & HD
by on Jul 27, 2009 at 2:07:43 pm

It really depends on the TV. It's true more 16:9 displays are likely to be set for showing the entire frame instead of a TV cutoff but there's not going to be a consistency across all HDTVs in the world. I suggest watching the frames around all edges in your NLE just to make certain there are always= a. no titles going beyond the title safe area, and absolutely nothing you wouldn't want a person to see at the edges of the frame, even beyond action safe. That means boom poles, c-stands, etc. Action-safe is action-safe but on some HD displays it's going to be shown anyway so you might as well take it into account.

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Carlos ManuelRe: Safe area on SD & HD
by on Jul 28, 2009 at 1:00:32 pm

I think I should doing this:

for SD I respect 100% the Image safety and put nothing with value outside that area.

for HD, on the NLE I'll put the safety's OFF and consider ALL tha image as viewable on TV's.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved