FORUMS: list search recent posts

Teleprompter software for MAC Book Pro

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Jordan
Teleprompter software for MAC Book Pro
on Jun 28, 2009 at 11:49:29 am

Went to NAB this year and on our list of equip. to buy was a teleprompter. And we did.

Now, in a field test we hooked it up to a new MAC Book Pro running 10.5.7.

We currently have a program called Prompt 7.0 but in this test we were just not pleased with this software. Very simplistic, limited controls and just a hassle.

Any recommendations of field tested software that you like and works well?

Dual Core, 3GHz, OS 10.5.7, 16GB Ram, 2 TB internal HD, 8TB External Raid, FCP 6.0.5, Sound Track Pro, AE, Squeeze for the Web...HPX300 Camera.
Owner of Full Graphics Design Firm Houston, Tx 19 yrs.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Teleprompter software for MAC Book Pro
on Jun 28, 2009 at 7:52:23 pm

How sophisticated do you need your prompting software to be?

For years, we used Presentation Prompter. It's solid, but basic. (you need a hardware VGA reverse unit if you want to be able to flip the prompter at the head and still read the laptop display in the clear)

Their new software "Flip-Q" allows software reverse on one unit and upright text on another, but can be a bit finicky to launch properly. That's offset by a simple mode where the prompter text is presented properly on 3/4 of the screen width, and a small inset reverse copy is presented in the upper left quadrant.

I do a lot of dialog scenes for my corporate work where two characters need to interact with prompting for the complex dialog and I use that "inset" mode with a dual camera setup a lot and it's pretty bullet proof.

So again, you need to match your software to the kind of work you'll do most often and make sure it has the capabilities you REALLY need.

Flip-Q is made by Prompter People and is available for MAC.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 1, 2009 at 3:12:14 am

When I upgraded my rental prompter and got a mac ibook to run it with, I tried a couple really cheap and promising apps like prompt puppy and prompt dog, but I was not happy withthe smeethness of the scrolling on them.

Like Bill, I found this

http://www.nextforcesw.com/presentationprompter.html

and was very happy with the performance. My system uses a CRT that's had the deflection coils reversed on it, so this software worked great for me. You can do the "flip" to reverse the lettering on it in the software; if you need to do that, like Bill says, the best fit depends on the hardware you prompt with.

Because I have a "real" i.e. traditional reversed CRT type unit, I can do multiple taps off my output to additional regular TV monitors anywhere on the set you might need one as a "repeater". Some folks find that very useful. Others may not need that functionality. I've considered upgrading to an LCD prompter, but to get reversal circuitry built-into those flatscreens costs quite a bit more. My judgement for *me* was that it would cause me to raise my rental rates beyond what the local traffic would bear. So I'm staying "retro" for now.

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Jul 2, 2009 at 11:45:06 am

Thanks fellas.

Yes my LCD prompter has reversal. Don't need real fancy software. Mainly to prompt one person.

I'll check out your options.

If anyone else has suggestions that would be appreciated.

Dual Core, 3GHz, OS 10.5.7, 16GB Ram, 2 TB internal HD, 8TB External Raid, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Dual Core, 10.5.7, FCP 6.0.5, Sound Track Pro, AE, Squeeze for the Web...HPX300 Camera.
Owner of Full Graphics Design Firm Houston, Tx 19 yrs.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Daniel Lee
on Dec 20, 2009 at 6:54:48 pm

Hey Martin,

If you get a chance, please check out our teleprompter software. It has been battle tested in the most challenging live performance conditions. On the fly edits, during the performance, is a specialty.
It's at: Shadowscript.com

Thanks

Dan

Return to posts index

Patrick Consolati
on Jul 9, 2009 at 8:51:27 pm

Martin,

I saw your post and thought I would respond. I work for Lenox Softworks and we developed a teleprompter application called Script-Q that I am certain will meet your needs. We have 3 different versions of the software, Basic, Advanced and Professional and offer both Macintosh and Windows versions. Please feel free to try the 15 day fully functioning demo of our Professional version that is available at script-q.com and feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions at 413-637-0099.

Return to posts index

Leon Sturm
on May 26, 2016 at 1:07:11 pm

The situation with teleprompter software on the Mac is really dire. There's not much modern software out there really.

One exception is Power Prompter which you could try. IIRC they have a free trial version and the product isn't too expensive (about 20 bucks): http://suborbital.io/powerprompter/

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 28, 2016 at 4:30:15 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Jul 27, 2016 at 5:13:31 pm

It's just all migrated towards Apps.

You can find a dozen prompting Apps.

Buy a cheap iPad or use your iPhone. I'm sure there's options for Android as well.

It does everything laptop based tele prompting software used to do, but it's generally under $20 instead of a couple hundred bucks like back in the day.

Plenty of people make beam-splitter units that accommodate tablets as well.

The industry has changed. For the better.

Totally.

New signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by...

Just saw Ned's comment and I have to very respectfully still disagree. An iPad Pro hung under one of the new lightweight rod-based beamsplitter rigs looks ever bit as "pro" as a traditional teleprompter and heck, it's just securely paired bluetooth - so there's no reason you can't drive it from your laptop when you need full keyboard control.

I've prompted recently where I used the laptop for an exec sit-down for an hour - then when we needed to roll the camera rig to a new interior location, I switched to driving the script via my iPad mini, then as we moved outside for the next field shot I was able to run the same lightweight camera prompting rig from my iPhone.

I spent decades on bigger studio and field rigs - and I still say good riddance to them all.

Just me. YMMV.

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
on Jun 3, 2016 at 2:32:30 pm
Last Edited By Ned Miller on Jun 3, 2016 at 2:34:57 pm

I use Prompt Dog. I highly recommend them. Dirt cheap. Stay away from phones and iPads. I have a full size teleprompter but for poor clients I can use the laptop.

The reason to use your laptop rather than phones and pads is that when you are doing a VIP, whether it's a celebrity, CEO, etc., their time is very short and there's often copy changes. You need to change it FAST. So having the keyboard of a laptop is a plus. Also, as people age they can't see as far. The vain don't want to wear their glasses. The LARGER the text the safer you will be since you never know on a gig how far the text will be from the subject.

Try Prompt Dog, there's a free trial.

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]