FORUMS: list search recent posts

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clyde villegasstoryboard
by on Jun 20, 2009 at 5:51:43 am

How accurate should storyboards (to be presented to a corporate client) be? Should I include the camera's reverse shots (over the shoulder shots of two persons talking)?

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Jeff CadgeRe: storyboard
by on Jun 20, 2009 at 1:08:46 pm

With our corporate projects we rarely do storyboards for a video lasting
more then 2 minutes, we do make a detailed shot list describing the shot angles,
coverage etc… If we are working with a PR/AD agency they usually make a storyboard with “key frames” to present to their client. The key is to combine your shot list into your production schedule to finish in the allotted time, corporate people hate O/T. They usually want to be out the door at 5PM.

Jeff Cadge

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: storyboard
by on Jun 22, 2009 at 7:02:16 pm

For a 30 or 60- second spot, or a music video, I would like to see it boarded-out fairly completely, at least one frame per scene. This goes triple if you are talking about something that uses 3d CGI or extensive keying. The point of the boards is that changes on paper and ink are cheaper than changes in post after the money's been shot.

The level of visual detail can range from stick men to fully photoshopped and animated animatics. That depends on the timeline and budget as well as the level of sophistication of the project and the ability of the clients to conceptualize and visualize.

This last is the greatest hurdle. Sometimes the least imaginative person is the one that gets to sign off on the work of the creative staff, and though the vision in your head is so concrete you can crush nutshells with it, if the sign-off guy can't picture it, and understand why it needs to be the way you want it, you're finished.

So do enough detail that a complete idiot could "get it". Not that the clients are idiots, not at all, but because they are not in the visualization business; you are.

Return to posts index

clyde villegasRe: storyboard
by on Jun 24, 2009 at 6:06:38 am

Thanks Mark and Jeff. I was just thinking of including reverse camera shots so the client can accurately see how the scene will be shot. But at the same time, I don't want the storyboard to be ridiculously accurate.

Return to posts index

Gav BottRe: storyboard
by on Jun 25, 2009 at 3:28:06 am

I think it's a case of keeping it "honest" - and coming from reading 80's British comic books, I like to see a story board that actually tells the story.

Don't care if we use stick men/stills/or animatics to show what's going to happen, the only question is "can they tell what the finished product be like?" and then a follow up of "is it possible to make sane changes on the basis of this story board?" (I like to aim for at least the chance of sane changes.....)

If the answer to those 2 is yes - then it's good enough to use, +/- a level of presentation quality to pass muster for the project with the client.

The Brit in Brisbane
The Pomme in Production - Brisbane Australia.

Return to posts index

clyde villegasRe: storyboard
by on Jul 3, 2009 at 4:17:41 am

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved