FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera setup for shooting race footage

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike AllenCamera setup for shooting race footage
by on May 22, 2009 at 2:02:05 pm

I am currently planning production for a corporate Racing based production shot in HD. We are sponsoring a car and printing our logos for the new car wrap and side of the transport truck. This car is similar to NASCAR, however it is a couple of series down in order to improve sponsorship pricing and we have negotiated full track access. This car will actually race and the shots captured from the racing scenes will be integral to the entire production.

Now that you have a little background, I will ask my questions. My first question is this. I usually shoot most of my productions with the Sony F350 in 24p, because I like the look. I know that with the cars moving at high speeds and shooting 24p, I am more likely to get shots that will not be nearly as smooth as shooting 60i. However, if is increase my shutter speed considerably (recommendations would be appreciated here) can I get good looking shots shooting in 24p. If it’s just a bad idea, let me know. If you have other recommendations for shooting race footage, especially camera setup, I would be thankful for that as well.

Return to posts index

Jim HarveyRe: Camera setup for shooting race footage
by on May 25, 2009 at 5:17:24 pm

It's a bad idea. Shoot in 80i and capture the color and excitement of the race. You're not shooting a 'film' so using filmic settings will just soften the whole look. Race footage should be 'in your face' and explosive. That's NOT going to happen with 24p. Also cranking up your shutter speed will introduce other problems and make the footage look "odd".

Jim Harvey
JHV Digital

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved