FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV 50i vs 25p for corporate video?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee LesterHDV 50i vs 25p for corporate video?
by on May 19, 2009 at 10:52:30 am

Hello all

I work for a (UK based) company who will be shooting their first corporate video on HDV in the upcoming months. I've read loads of articles on the various formats and believe I'm correct that the best main pal options are 1080i25 (50i) and 1080p25?

I've read that shooting progressive will give us more of a 'film' look, but I'm not sure that that's what's needed for a corporate video...I was looking at hiring a Sony HDR-Z1E HDV which will shoot 50i and also "HDV PAL" - not sure what that last one is?

We will be editing on a brand new Mac Pro with 8gb ram and 1tb e-sata mirrored raid drive, if that would make any difference.

Any advice gratefully received.

Lee Lester

Return to posts index

Mike SmithRe: HDV 50i vs 25p for corporate video?
by on May 21, 2009 at 8:56:49 am

OF course probably your first concern for a decent corporate is to get a good story, and concentrate on making it interesting for its audience - as always!

But for the technical specifics, it might be good to concentrate on the playback format and work to suit that.

If output is DVD, then it's going to be standard def , and playable on CRTs (mainly interlaced, a very great many still around) or flat screens(mainly progressive scan in native format).

Mostly, progressive scan footage looks fine on CRTs as long as the camera moves are kept a fair bit slower than they might be shooting interlaced - moves start to exhibit "tearing" at much lower speeds - interlace gives that nice smooth look.

If you're going out on BluRay then you can deliver progressive scan and very likely no one will be looking at it on an interlaced screen.

Interlaced footage can look bad on a progressive scan screen, particularly in slow motion sequences or sequences with fast moving objects with sharp edges - interlaced edges can get the jagged-edged look, as if anti-aliasing hadn't been invented. So if you know your stuff will only go on computer monitors or flat screens and you don't mind the slower camera moves (slower floating / scrolling titles, whatever) then progressive could be a good choice.

Return to posts index

Lee LesterRe: HDV 50i vs 25p for corporate video?
by on May 21, 2009 at 11:21:08 am

Hey, thanks so much for the advice.

It's tricky- I would imagine it would be played on more flat screens than CRTs, but as it's for a Police Training Centre there might be some quick movement involved.

Also, we would be using graphics like this - would they come out poorly if rendered in the progressive format?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2009 at 11:48:54 am

I'd really be thinking about output format. If this is destined for standard definition DVD, which I'd guess it will be for a police training centre, then the case for using interlaced for acquisition and editing is quite strong.

The sample plays fine for movement on both progressive scan and interlaced monitors here. On an interlaced video CRT, though, some of the fine lines around the text boxes (at the size rendered for the web ? around 630x354 ?) break up - they show a little aliasing. It might help to soften or fatten the troublesome lines a little.

"Film look" I think seems to mean more to those brought up on NTSC, where the run-of-the-mill video they watched was all sourced in 29.xx fps but the movies and high-end tv series were all originated on film 24fps and had "pull-down" applied, creating a different (and to my eye strange) feel to the image movement. For those people, sourcing at 24p and applying pulldown is a way to recreate that movement effect - all rather lost in PAL land, where the convention was just to play the 2fps source at 25fps and accept the very slight change of speed (and audio pitch) .

Return to posts index

Lee LesterRe: HDV 50i vs 25p for corporate video?
by on May 22, 2009 at 11:57:25 am

Thanks Mike for all your's been extremely useful!

108050i it is.

Interesting to read about the NTSC film stuff too...will one day hopefully get to play around with different formats and see for myself.

Thanks again,

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2009 at 3:46:54 pm

You're welcome.

Hope it works out.

If there's time, it's never a bad idea to run a little test through a proposed new production chain and just have a look.

You could shoot a few (varied) test scenes, pass them through your edit system with a few cuts, dissolves and whatever type of effects you have in mind, and output to whatever your distribution format is. Then perhaps as well as viewing them on your own kit, you might even try to get the eventual customer to let you test them on some of their playback systems ... then you'd both see any issues nice and early.

Return to posts index

Gav BottRe: HDV 50i vs 25p for corporate video?
by on May 26, 2009 at 11:52:49 pm

I would consider delivering in 1080, SD DVD, and "web sized" format - Govt. always apreciates a "plays anywhere" solution (as does evreyone else).

Which for me means shoot 1080.

The Brit in Brisbane
The Pomme in Production - Brisbane Australia.

Return to posts index

peter crawfordRe: HDV 50i vs 25p for corporate video?
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 1:48:51 am

Hi, In regard to to this article, If SHOOTING 1080 50I is it best to capture it as SD 720x 576, or capture in the correct format, set up a SD pal timeline and drop it in and let FCP downscale, or capture and edit in 1080i then somehow downconvert to SD pal(how would I do this last one?

Would Really appreciate your feedback, pleeeeeaaaassssee!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved