FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clients & LCDs

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John PancocharClients & LCDs
by on Mar 3, 2009 at 4:12:01 pm

I was wondering if there was a spec-procedure-rule of thumb-whathaveyou relating to a nagging problem with clients.

They get a WMV file to download and comment on, and they cannot resist a deluge of comments regards the need for color correction. They are looking at the video on an LCD!!! (And you isn't on computers these days.) I explain to them the horrid aspects of an LCD, the inconsistancies from one to the next and how inappropriate it is to make those kinds of decisions previewing it that way.

Of course, they point to some other video they are watching on their laptop and they say THAT video looks good, why doesn't yours? A typical comment is this outdoor shot is to vivid and unnatural, color correct....when it is an unaltered Canon XL2 outdoor scene, properly white balanced and looks great on my production CRT monitor.

I pretty much know what where problem lies here. But to be sure, I thought, perhaps when the project's deliverable is a WMV file viewed on laptops and consumer projector systems, maybe there is some spec that ensures a happy result on most LCD's etc. You know, like NTSC color safe for an animator.

Probably not....just follow general broadcast video color and white/black level guidelines....but I thought I'd ask in case I'm unaware of something else.

Thanks, John P.

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: Clients & LCDs
by on Mar 3, 2009 at 11:31:21 pm

Ask the client if they've calibrated their LCD.
When they say no, explain that you'll do it and give them your rate.

BTW try going to any store and buying a CRT TV set or computer monitor.
You might do your check on an a calibrated LCD. You could use a Matrox MXO to an LCD if needed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved