FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edutainment vs Corporate Videos

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randall League
Edutainment vs Corporate Videos
on Feb 24, 2009 at 2:40:55 pm

I was going ask this in the other thread but might as well keep it seperate. I'm an English school owner in Japan, been here about years now and about 2 years ago I decided that I wanted to start an edutainment/e-learning company specializing in English. I studied business in college so I didn't know jack about graphic/computer arts or anything else even closely related, I started off with Flash stuff and a little programing , slowly working myself up to After Effects and more or less the rest of the Adobe suite, video cameras, ect.. Now I feel generally confident I can make something that can sell, but I know theres a whole lot I don't know, so I try to read everything I can get my hands on (including these forums). I was wondering what everyones opinions were on the best way to approach "edutainment"?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Edutainment vs Corporate Videos
on Mar 1, 2009 at 7:30:35 pm

Here's my 2 cents.

On an importance scale of 1 to 10 everything about producing video for sale rates a 2 or less except FINDING CLIENTS WHO WILL PAY YOU MONEY - which rates a 15.

Selling "edutainment" is no different than selling anything else.

The hard part is bringing in customers. Period.

Return to posts index

Randall League
on Mar 2, 2009 at 4:23:25 am

Thats a very good point Bill.

I personally am trying to make the edutainment myself and sell them thru my own website. But your idea certainly still applies, I have to find the customers or bring them to my website.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Ben Hall
on Mar 9, 2009 at 4:15:43 pm

One idea i've personally seen work is release some "sections" as a podcast. Then market the entire DVD at the end of said podcast. I worked with a company for 3 years and that is all we did. I beg of you please please please be well prepared. Pre-pro is sooooo very crucial and will ultimately make you the most profit. The more you plan up front - the less you lose on the back.

Their website (for benchmarking purposes) is
http://www.cassiopeiaproject.org

Mal: If anyone gets nosy, just, you know... shoot 'em.

Zoe: Shoot 'em?

Mal: Politely

Return to posts index

Randall League
on Mar 10, 2009 at 4:03:16 am

Thanks for the post

I'm assuming when you talk about pre-production yourr talking about the website, delivery systems, customer service, ect.. rather than the video pre-pro?

I was planning on something similar to that website (I was originally thinking of Lynda.com), I also planned to send a bunch of free sets to some teachers, bloggers, ect.. to try to raise some word of mouth.

Return to posts index

Ben Hall
on Mar 11, 2009 at 4:40:43 pm

Yes and Yes. It's sooooo very important to know exactly the audience you "intend" to sell to. What age group/grade level etc. Once you begin the production phase - make sure your prepro is 100% spot on - and in conjunction with your conceptual prepro you have a great chance at success.

What I experienced was an idea - edutainment - but no full understanding of the market intended to view it. So we spent valuable time in development - we shot portions of the same footage multiple times - as the EP's constantly changed for a better buisiness model. Our pre-pro in the produciton phase was marginal, at first, but soon was soooo efficient our agility allowed us to overcome the struggles of project development hell. NOW it's good to go. Product is created and generated and out the door in no time. There's a very clear market and delivery system for said market.

Good luck!

Mal: If anyone gets nosy, just, you know... shoot 'em.

Zoe: Shoot 'em?

Mal: Politely

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]