FORUMS: list search recent posts

Third Party Seeks Raw Footage

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Margo SzomorThird Party Seeks Raw Footage
by on Jan 26, 2009 at 6:19:32 pm

I have worked in collaboration with a production studio to make a series of segments that aired on my company's closed network. A number of these were promotional pieces for third parties and were done free of charge as the segments aired on my network. They were, however, given copies to use as they see fit. Since those copies were not tagged with my company logo except in credits, I thought this very generous. I also edited a commercial for a specific third party and aired it free of charge in support of their continued use of my services. Now they are requesting the raw footage from all of these projects so they can have someone else edit a promotional piece for a new section of their business and they would like it free of charge. I feel like they are over-stepping here as I have paid for the footage, graphics and studio time that will all in a sense be used for this other person's video, and they already have copies of my final products, which are higher quality than they are looking to purchase now so they can just cut that. I don't feel comfortable giving away my raw footage so they can use someone else's services. Is this something I should charge for, simply not allow (to which they say it is their events and staff that covered), or really just give away? Its not as if I plan to use it again.

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Third Party Seeks Raw Footage
by on Jan 26, 2009 at 10:38:35 pm

This Thread may be of some help:

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Kyle LaufRe: Third Party Seeks Raw Footage
by on Feb 3, 2009 at 12:20:53 pm

It's all about the relationship and if/how you want it to continue. But don't let them walk all over you. It's your footage - end of story. They can purchase it from you.

Return to posts index

Tracy PetersonRe: Third Party Seeks Raw Footage
by on Feb 9, 2009 at 6:30:45 am

Feel free to say no to them.

If you did put all the investment into it, It's yours and they can pay for it if they want it. No free lunches.

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved