FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting in India

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex smithShooting in India
by on Jan 22, 2009 at 5:53:52 pm

I have an upcoming shoot in India (Hyderabad) in March. As someone who has not worked in Asia before, I'd be very grateful for any tips from those who have experience shooting in this part of the world. Especially traveling with gear (sticks, HDV cam, but probably not lights) and whether permits are really necessary for shooting on the street, etc.

thanks in advance for any tips,

Return to posts index

Post removed.

manas rajputhRe: Shooting in India
by on Jan 27, 2009 at 10:53:53 am

I'm manas from india (hyderabad),i am working as asst. director for hyderabad regional (telugu) movies. As far as i knw u dont have 2 get ur gears with you as it will b really messy, better u can take gears from here for rent (lease) & u dont not need to worry about the permit for shooting in streets its real easy. if u want i can help with ur shoot at my home town Hyderabad. u can contact me any time
91 9052215787.

Return to posts index

Kyle LaufRe: Shooting in India
by on Feb 3, 2009 at 12:26:20 pm

I haven't worked in Asia, but I've been to African countries like Kenya and Congo. The way to go is take your hand-held camera in a tourist looking bag. I packed my clothes and toiletries in with my tripod, and my camera bag looked like it was my luggage with a camera inside. Travel light.

Return to posts index

alex smithRe: Shooting in India
by on Apr 9, 2009 at 4:51:01 pm

First off India is a chaotic and beautiful place.

I decided to pack the sticks, a small eng light and tape stock in checked baggage and carry on the camera (Sony z7)and batteries as per new regulations. No problems with airport security either way although I was always asked to take out the camera and show it.

Shooting on the streets and in hotels, rooftops, lobbies was not problem at all. No one declined to be filmed and while many many people were curious about the camera (and me) I never got a "don't film me" vibe. During my 8 days there, I only saw two policemen - and they were directing traffic. I'm sure my experience would be different had a I used lights, sticks and a boom.

On the downside, a lot of dust and dirt (everywhere) city or country, I'd recommend not forgetting the lens cleaning kit (do'h).

Thanks in no small part to the optics - the SONY took some amazing pictures. Although my previous XL1s was MUCH easier to hand hold. I still need to find a good solution for mounting and holding the smaller sony cam (any suggestions?).

All in all, a great trip and no problems with security and gear.

Matrox Axio LE
HP 9300 Workstation
Vista 64 bit OS
Dual Amd 2.19

Return to posts index

Ron BourkeRe: Shooting in India
by on Oct 20, 2009 at 9:45:24 pm

I strongly recommend hiring a local comopany to coordinate your shoot. No problem shooting on the streets, but India is a chaotic environment. Just getting from one side of a city to another can be a challenge if you don't know your way around. I'd recommend traveling very light and hiring elquipment there with the exception of perhaps bringing your own camera if it is small (HDV, EX3 etc...) something that won't arouse suspicions from customs coming into the country. Either have a Carne for your gear or have your Customs stamp an inventory before you leave. The easier option is to rent everything in India which in a major city shouldn't be a problem. I was in Mumbai in January 09 and rented everything through a local production company. Since I'm from the US, we used a Sony EX1 and set it to shoot 30 fps. Crew and rental prices are very reasonbale.

Return to posts index

Subrato senguptaRe: Shooting in India
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 9:44:21 am

I am Subrato, a cinematographer & Line Producer by profession for last eighteen years in Mumbai. As i fell you dont have to get your gears with you as it will be really messy, better you can take gears from here for rent (lease)in Mumbai.if you want i can help with your shoot. You can contact me - +91 9820297239.

Looking for your reply.

Web-site -
For your info-

Mumbai city shots link -

Link of mumbai slum footage ( where Slumdog Millionaire was shot) -

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved