FORUMS: list search recent posts

arabic and other languages

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bonnie Ernstarabic and other languages
by on Dec 21, 2008 at 11:49:50 pm

I'm doing a corporate video that will need to be sub titled in Arabic, Spanish and maybe other languages down the line. Anyone out there who has done something similar? Any advice? I assume I can shoot with NTSC gear.
Any experience with making a DVD with these sub-titles or languages?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Bonnie Ernst
Located on the central coast of California.

Return to posts index

Kai CheongRe: arabic and other languages
by on Dec 28, 2008 at 5:53:53 am

I've subtitled a corporate video before using Arabic subtitles. Just make sure you have a trusted and professional translator doing the work for you, esp. if you don't have an Arabic-speaking editor/producer who's able to check through as s/he edits. My edits had very clear and short sections, so even though I'm not Arabic-speaking, I could place each section more or less in its right place. If it's a longer piece, you might want your translator to be more precise in indicating, with timecode, how each sentence should be placed.

The Arabic subtitles probably needs a little more space/height than English subtitles in order to be readable, so you might want to factor that in when shooting eg. don't shoot too tight on faces and leave more room below, esp. if you need to super AND subtitle.

Other thing to note is that Arabic reads from right to left and it's a little tricky when you're trying to separate your sentences, since you might accidentally break up a phrase and change the meaning altogether. It takes some getting used to. Plus, you'll need to obtain a readable Arabic font - perhaps you could arrange that with your translator.

Other than that, I find the subtitling work to be as... gruelling... as any other language :]

FCP Editor / Producer with Intuitive Films
Now 'LIVE'! Check Out The Intuitive Films Blog @

At Intuitive Films, We Create: TV Commercials, Documentaries, Corporate Videos and Feature Films
Visit us @
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | FCP 5.1.4 | Mac OS X 10.5.2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved