FORUMS: list search recent posts

make a video repeat

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Hawkinsmake a video repeat
by on Sep 22, 2008 at 7:50:17 pm

I am Creating a Video to be played on two 42 inch LCD TVs in a store. I need the video to keep playing and repeating with out any noticeable stops. What would the easiest way to complete this task?
i have not done to much DVD authoring, but can i complete this with a DVD that repeats the video? Or do I need to buy something special?
money is not a issue.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: make a video repeat
by on Sep 22, 2008 at 8:29:31 pm

Yes, this is easy to do. Actually many DVD players have a control right on the remote that lets you create a loop between two points, it's often labeled as the a-b switch. Good for checking your golf swing or repeating a guitar part you're trying to copy down, things like that. Or to loop a program onto a VHS dub.

But it is better to make the DVD do this on it's own, because the machine's temporary loop can be upset or lost and not everyone can re-establish it properly. So burn a self-starting, self-looping DVD. You'll generally need some DVD authoring software, but nothing too sophisticated. You won't need to study very hard to do this part.

What you'll do is import the video as mpeg2 into the DVD authoring progam first. You won't need to build any menus or interactivity. Set the actual video as "first play" in the authoring program, and insert a "loop back to start" command at the end of the program. On Apple's DVDStudio pro, it takes as long to do as it just took you to read it. I'm sure it's not too much more complicated in other systems. That's it. Burn it and done.

Back in the day, we would have to play the program live, over and over onto a 8-hour long VHS tape to make a repeating "loop". Thank God for DVD.

One other way to do this is to store the program as an MPEG2 file in a hard-drive-based playback system. These are made by many outfits including Sony and a company called Doremi. But considering a DVD player is $30, the blank DVD is a few pennies, that's got to be the cheapest way to handle it. Thing might play till doomsday if you tape up the loading door so it auto-starts whenever the player sees power.

Return to posts index

Ben HawkinsRe: make a video repeat
by on Sep 22, 2008 at 8:52:19 pm

Thanks for the help!

I got the hottest beats and the softest fur.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved