FORUMS: list search recent posts

Technical Information on the Back of DVD covers

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Holtz
Technical Information on the Back of DVD covers
on Sep 4, 2008 at 9:14:20 pm

Hey all, I'm creating the cover graphics for a line of how-to training videos for the paint manufacturer I work for. Is there a certain list or index of items and technical information that would be legally required to sell the DVD's on the company website? For example, the DVD video logo, region graphics, Dolby Digital, aspect ratio, NTSC, etc...

I would assume that a few or most of those things would require permission from the respective companies. If that's the case, is there anything special I would need to do other than contact the main offices of those particular companies?

Much appreciated,

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Technical Information on the Back of DVD covers
on Sep 5, 2008 at 11:26:59 pm

If your selling it off your web site I don't think it matters, if you where selling in thorough a distributer then it would. I think it is more important to focus on what you think should be on the packaging. The DVD video logo is a must.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Jonathan Holtz
on Sep 9, 2008 at 9:10:25 pm

Awesome, that helps alot. Can I download that specific DVD logo off of any website, or is it licensed? Who owns the rights?

Thanks for your help. Do you have a video on FCP Studio 1?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 10, 2008 at 3:18:22 pm

Jonathan,
Check out Brandsoftheworld.com and type in DVD Video. You will get a bunch of DVD Video logos. This web page is amazing! Here is a link to one of the DVD Video options at Brands of the World. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 10, 2008 at 3:22:35 pm

[Jonathan Holtz] Do you have a video on FCP Studio 1?

Most of my web tutorials will work in FCS 1 with the exception of the Motion tutorials. All of those require FCS 2. The majority of my DVD chapters work in FCS 1 as well.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Return to posts index

Jonathan Holtz
on Sep 10, 2008 at 4:12:43 pm

Thanks Stephen:

I've downloaded the logo from the link you posted to me (I had seen that website before through a Google search, but wasn't sure of the legality of things). It says the author is unknown, but to keep things perfectly legal, I need to contact them. Do you know who it is that owns the original trademark rights?

Again...

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 10, 2008 at 4:32:22 pm

All of the logos on Brands of the World are copyrighted...however, If your doing a video for a company and they give you there logo as a low res .jpg or something this is the site to turn to to get a high res version. If you use pepsi's logo on a video that you shouldn't, you'll get in trouble. I've never heard anything in regards to the DVD logo. You could check there official site. Here is another great site for the DVD Video logo.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Return to posts index

Rich Newman
on Sep 11, 2008 at 2:06:51 pm

I recently looked into this issue for a DVD I was distributing. It is my understanding that indeed these particular DVD logos are copyrighted (note the TM). I was told by my duplicator that you can only use these logos if you are replicating your DVD's through a licensed duplication facility that has paid a fee to the company that owns those particular logos.

I was advised you can use the words DVD Video or Video DVD in a different font variation and layout, and without their little disc graphic. In other words, just make up your own logo as long as it is different.

Rich

Return to posts index

Ben Avechuco
on Sep 12, 2008 at 7:16:36 am

Listen to Rich. He's pointing you in the right direction.
- Ben

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Sep 12, 2008 at 4:51:28 pm

If you have a DVD printer, usually, they include a DVD logo that's similar to the "official" one. Our Bravo printer comes with Sure Thing CD Labeler and it has their version of the DVD logo.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.4 QT7.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
ATTO ExpressSAS R30F RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jonathan Holtz
on Sep 12, 2008 at 9:35:40 pm

Thanks guys. I wasn't expecting this many posts. It all really helps! Im in the process of creating my own DVD logo for all of my future DVDs as well.

John,

Our company uses an Epson Stylus Photo R260 to print our DVDs. The software is...how should I say it.... subpar. I've just been creating my graphics with Photoshop and inserting them in the program as a jpeg.

Much appreciated,

Jonathan

Return to posts index

Rich Newman
on Sep 15, 2008 at 12:39:39 pm

Jonathan-

I just came across this over the weekend as I was reading Macworld magazine. It's called Disc Cover. I have not used it, but it looks like an inexpensive option for designing DVD labels. It may be something helpful to you if you are using a Mac.

belightsoft.com/products/disccover/overview.php

Rich

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]