FORUMS: list search recent posts

Music for Corporate Video

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Pope
Music for Corporate Video
on Aug 12, 2008 at 1:42:02 am

Got a question about music and licensing music for corporate video. In the past we've done some corporate video, mostly for small companies and haven't worried too much about using unlicensed copyrighted music, operating under the assumption that since most of the videos were pretty obscure and aren't usually actively selling something - that it wouldn't be worth the record label's time to come after you. Am I being naive? If so, what do people usually do for music...I haven't had much success with the royalty free music sites...

Thanks

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
Re: Music for Corporate Video
on Aug 12, 2008 at 2:53:07 am

What you've been doing is illegal. It doesn't matter who you're editing the video for. There are lots of music libraries out there to choose from. Find one that works for the style of shows you edit. Do a google search.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 12, 2008 at 3:32:48 am

Sam, you are playing Russian Roulette... you have no control over those companies suddenly deciding to put their stuff on YouTube or a corporate website... then what?

There are numerous needle-drop libraries out there, and good ones. You also have the option of building your owen tracks using one of several looping technologies that are easy and even fun to work with. And of course, you still have the option of finding a starving artist composer to custom-make you a track for just a little cash.

With all those available, inexpensive, and legal options, it makes no sense to use un-cleared tuneage.

Return to posts index

Sam Pope
on Aug 12, 2008 at 3:25:14 pm

Mark,
Thanks for the advice. I do actually have control over where they post their videos, that's predetermined in a contract, but I guess that's irrelevant?

Can you (or anyone else) suggest any needle-drop libraries? I've done some pretty extensive google searches and haven't some up with anything that great...

Could you also suggest some looping technology/software??

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Aug 12, 2008 at 3:57:00 pm

Look at Smartsound. It's pretty cool. Also I like Music Bakery. It really depends on the type of music you prefer.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 12, 2008 at 8:56:20 pm

On the mac we use SonicFire SmartSound and Garage Band. On PC you can try Sony Acid. There are also free loop-based, multi-platform editors out there, just google them up, or get a copy of this monthsn Digitasl Musician magazine at any high-end book store; they usually carry a cd PACKED with synths, loop editors, effects and sample sounds for free or as shareware.

For libraries, depends on what you like and need, but I like Music Bakery and Sound Dogs. You can get some great values as well from the giant libraries at Digital Juice.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 12, 2008 at 10:16:49 pm

Here is a link to a recent thread that can help.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/12/855851

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Mark Landman
on Aug 13, 2008 at 10:55:04 pm

I'll second SmartSound. The mood mapping feature is pretty cool. You can change the mix (for example, leave out the horns or use just the bass and percussion) at any point throughout the piece. You need the SmartSound multi-layer libraries to utilize that functionality.

If I'm not mistaken, they have a demo version of the SonicFire program on their website, and if you buy a copy of version 4.5 now they'll send you a free of version 5 when it ships. I just updated to 4.5 from the very first version of the program.

Mark Landman
PM Productions
Champaign, IL

Return to posts index

Mark Landman
on Aug 13, 2008 at 10:55:19 pm

oops! Sorry for the double post. I found how to edit a previously submitted post, but how do you delete a double post?

Mark Landman
PM Productions
Champaign, IL

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 14, 2008 at 2:42:19 pm

I can appreciate that working with small companies, maybe you are just starting how it may seem a pretty quick shortcut to use music that you don't have the rights to use.

Here's a problem I see though, you have a contract with a company in which you have illegally used someone else's work, not sure, but how valid is a contract in which you've committed a crime. Granted you haven't killed someone, but any client of mine that asked to use so and so's song knowing full well it's illegal, exactly how much can you trust them to not post it, distribute it...

Believe me, you're playing with fire and it's only a matter of time before you get burned.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.ckandco.net

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 14, 2008 at 4:26:58 pm

Mark and John both bring up great points on this being illegal and explain how this can hurt financially. I would like to ad that even if you would never get sued by the big record label you still shouldn't do it because it's morally wrong. I would like to think that integrity should be everyones guide on these matters, not if you will or will not get in trouble...at least that's how I see it. Sorry, I'll get off my soap box.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Aug 14, 2008 at 6:17:44 pm

I will probably get some angry answers for even mentioning it, but here goes:

Like it or not, the majority of production companies in my area (San Francisco) will allow the client to choose music in one specific case.

That is, if the video is only shown once during an event where they are producing the live event as well.

That also means the client only gets one copy with an obvious "not for distribution" slate at the beginning and end and are made aware that it this for their eyes only.

While I am not going to argue whether this is acceptable or not, that's the only case where if you refuse to do it you may get on the client's bad side if every other company they've worked with allowed it. And if this is a good client, well, you get the point...

Of course, you also have the smaller companies that don't care what goes in the edit no matter what, I won't go there...

Vince

Return to posts index

Justin Parker
on Aug 15, 2008 at 2:33:34 pm

there is music licensing company called Zoom https://www.zoomlicense.com/
that allows you to use license music for around $5 per song and it's good up to 25 dvds. It's geared toward wedding video, corporate and presentations. And it's not just studio music.... they have hit songs as well.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Ken Summerall
on Aug 15, 2008 at 4:53:11 pm

[Vince Becquiot] "I will probably get some angry answers for even mentioning it, but here goes:"

Vince,

Not an angry response just one of shock and disbelief. I don't know why this shocks me, but it still does. I cannot see how people justify this. I make a lot of one-offs for presentations and I never allow the client to chose the music unless they agree to license it. I am upfront about this and obtain at least an estimate of what the license will cost before I begin the project. Sometimes the client pays and sometimes they opt for royalty free music. To me the "For your eyes only" slates are a cop out.

OK, I'll get off of Stephen's soapbox.

K

Return to posts index

christopher Kinsman
on Aug 23, 2008 at 3:06:12 am

Well Sam, the only thing I'll say is - how would you feel if your camera work or creative edits were used by someone else without permission or credit? Best of luck with your moral dilemma!
Kind Regards,
Chris K.

Return to posts index

Bob Lange
on Aug 27, 2008 at 10:19:56 pm

No sense risking your name and business on copyright violations.
http://www.music2hues.com has a great library at crazy low prices for what you get, IMHO.

For what you'll spend on a lawyers first billable hour you could have a kickass library.

Acid Music and the like are cool too. The Zoomlicense thing looks excellent.

All cheap solutions to keep you from being sued.
Best wishes
Bob

"When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro"
-H.S.Thompson

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Steven Bradford
on Sep 12, 2008 at 11:16:31 pm

A great response is to tell them you'll consider letting them use their music choice if THEIR lawyer writes a letter saying it's ok.

We just went through this with a big accounting firm which fortunately has a legal staff, and they freaked, with a big NO WAY.

They then discovered though that they had purchase through ASCAP or BMI a license that allowed them to play music in their offices for various reasons, during meetings etc. And that they were therefore covered.

But they still didn't want to use copyrighted music for video that would be on the web, even the internal web site, because they weren't sure they would always subscribe to that license every year.

Steven Bradford
Http://www.seanet.com/~bradford/

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 15, 2008 at 2:24:37 pm

[Steven Bradford] A great response is to tell them you'll consider letting them use their music choice if THEIR lawyer writes a letter saying it's ok.

Reversing it back to the client, how clever.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Return to posts index

David Richter
on Aug 27, 2008 at 4:12:49 am

Sam,

Try APM music. We have had lots of success with them. Also, I agree with pretty much everyone in this post. Besides the fact that its stealing, you can get into quite a bit of trouble going down this road. Much cheaper to pay for the needle drop on the front end, then to pay for a lawyer on the back end.

David
Richter Studios
Video Production Services | Interactive | Web Design

Return to posts index

John Baumchen
on Sep 4, 2008 at 9:36:56 pm

Chalk up another vote for SmartSound. we're using the plug-in for Adobe PremierePro. With the extensive library of royalty free sounds, we're finding that it meets all of our needs.

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Feb 9, 2009 at 6:42:03 am

If you are looking for pre-composed music, I've had a lot of success with Studio Cutz. They have cheap volumes of tracks with good thematic songs on them. Get your client to pay for a CD in your fees and then use them on future work!

Woohoo!

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]