FORUMS: list search recent posts

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat FordPAL to NTSC
by on Jul 27, 2008 at 5:50:18 am

Long story short...I was going to go to shoot on site...client said there will be people shooting there. I said ok, just be sure to get me source tapes.....

I got PAL NTSC HD WMV and what else all on DVDs.

My question is how to convert Pal to NTSC. I have tried a few converters but they don't deal with the frame rate change well. The post house said that it is possible to do with a home brew solution; the post house can do it better but not perfect.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Mike SmithRe: PAL to NTSC
by on Jul 28, 2008 at 8:56:12 am

Procoder might do what you need.

Return to posts index

Bruce BennettRe: PAL to NTSC
by on Jul 29, 2008 at 1:56:53 am

[Pat Ford] "the post house can do it better but not perfect."

Since all your source footage is PAL, I would sub out a dub house to do the conversion. I would also convert to tape vs. DVD to avoid compression issues/artifacts.

Format conversions are never perfect, but some "higher end" dub houses have equipment worth thousands of dollars to do the best possible quality. I'm not too knowledgeable on the technical stuff, but the top dub houses separate the video fields during the conversion and "reassemble" the signal for the final converted output. This is a different process than most "common" dub houses use for conversions.

Good Luck,

Bruce Bennett
Bennett Marketing & Media Production, LLC

Return to posts index

Randy LeeRe: PAL to NTSC
by on Aug 1, 2008 at 2:42:16 pm

I agree completely. You want a dub house to do it. A terranex will do a much, much better job than any software solution that you might find. It'll cost you, but that should just be passed on to the client and you're good to go. If there isn't much in the way of movement (especially side to side), Compressor, a Nattress Plug-in, or Cinema Tools can do a fair job, but none of them are great, and a quick forum search will get you everything you need on them.

Best of luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved