FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for honest feedback from pros on some corporate videos...

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill MooreLooking for honest feedback from pros on some corporate videos...
by on Jul 1, 2008 at 5:03:03 pm

Hi all you creatives out there. I am looking for an unbiased 3rd party review of some videos I've created. I work for a marketing company creating corporate videos, and as part of my performance review, I need to obtain unbiased endorsements of the videos. The endorsement would have to come from another professional in the field, but other than that there are no other requirements or specific formats to follow.

Is anyone interested? I could do an honest review of your videos in exchange, if you think that would be worth while.

Let me know if you are interested. Some examples of the videos can be seen here:

Please respond if you think you can help. I appreciate it!

Bill Moore
Video Producer

Bill Moore

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Looking for honest feedback from pros on some corporate videos...
by on Jul 1, 2008 at 10:59:31 pm

Couple things I noticed about "Bill N.'s" piece:

You have virtual and real horizon lines going thru each man's head right at their eye line. In every shot. Pretty much in focus too. Why are you doing that? Once I noticed it I couldn't stop noticing it. To me, it breaks up the outline of the head and makes it harder to recognize a face/ break it out from the background. Pull the cameras further back at least and throw that background into softer focus by using tighter depth of field control. Makes your talent pop out of the scene and look more dimensional, IMO.

The blinds behind the head would be less distracting if they were less bright. This too is personal preference; I like the BG a stop or so darker and out of focus unless it has some important context.

The head-on medium shot could have used more fill, IMO, but this is individual preference.

The cut-away to wide side-angle helps break up the long take, but takes you too far away from the subject matter and what he's saying, IMO. I'd instead tend to use that wide cut-away up front or at the end or to signal a shift in topic, and would prefer a change in angle on the head-on shot, going to a slightly wider or tighter framing to break it up. If you only have the two cameras, (that's what it looks like), I think the thing to do is ask the question a second time and shoot with a re-framed shot head-on, and cut between those takes.

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Looking for honest feedback from pros on some corporate videos...
by on Jul 2, 2008 at 11:19:00 pm

I looked at the 50+ piece and the social media thing in part...

Audio...the audio is not good. Your images are pretty straightforward so you at least have to have good the 50+ piece male voice and the presenter's voice in the social media piece, it sounds overdriven, and therefore seems low end.

Try not to shoot interviewees from a hard profile like the 50+ piece. That woman is hard profile in her one shot during the interview. Looking at someone's ear center screen is not flattering for anybody. get the camera out in front of her so she's looking only slightly off-angle when she's speaking. The camera angle in this interview looks like it's angled down, as if the camera is higher than the interviewee/er... When you have a message you're presenting to a "peer" (friendly, professional, etc.), having the camera at eye level is best. A high angle seems a bit like a voyeur (security cam) and less like a participant...

Also in the 50+ piece...and this is a tough one to overlook from a marketing company...the woman being interviewed has her ID graphic cut off at the bottom of the screen, I assume from a pre-compression crop. Hard to ask her to participate a second time for the exposure...her company name never showed up.

On the social networking piece...I'm sure it seemed really hip at the time, but whip-zooming the presenter around the screen (as a floating greenscreened element) is distracting. A hard take to different framing would likely be less jarring (yes, I know it would create some stress on eally aggressive compression...)

Only got a chance to glance at two...hopefully some of that makes sense...

Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

CPO, Digieffects

Return to posts index

Ryan MastOT... can we start a forum for this?
by on Jul 7, 2008 at 8:06:49 pm

Slightly offtopic, but...

Could the COW start a new forum for "Honest Feedback," "Brutal Honesty," something like that, where we could post our work for critical critique? Actually, I'd really enjoy getting my work ripped apart occasionally by the pros. The feedback the COW gave me on my reels and site back in December was bad for the ego, but it helped a lot.

Return to posts index

Bruce BennettRe: Looking for honest feedback from pros on some corporate videos...
by on Jul 9, 2008 at 5:02:45 am

Hi Bill,

I watched “Using SEO as a Direct Response Medium.”

My first question… Is your character generation within title safe? The “IMPAQT” logo in the upper-left corner as well as the lower screen names/titles look like they’ll get cut off on some TVs.

Yeah, avoid shooting against exterior walls with blinds. It’s just a very bad thing to do. You can see your outside color temperature lighting intruding in your indoor color temperature lighting and it looks bad. Many years ago, I learned my lesson on this when I shot a similar type of video. As the early and mid morning daylight changed to later daylight, you could see the outdoor color temperature change throughout the video. Since then, when I’m in a situation in which I’m forced to shoot against blinds (and if we’re on a first floor and can access the windows) I have my crew go outside and put black blankets or anything we have to completely block out the daylight. If we’re not on a first floor, we cut gels or use anything that we can with gaffer tape to block it out under the blinds.

Break up the background behind the interviewer with some kind of pattern. It looks too flat and there is no distance between him and the wall.

The lighting of both people could be better. Back light, soft box key and side fill or reflector. Rim lights on top of shoulders are good too.

Unlike what Tim heard on your “50+” video, I hear good audio for this particular one.

If this is a lower budget video, it is pretty good for what your client paid for.

Bruce Bennett
Bennett Marketing & Media Production, LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved