FORUMS: list search recent posts

Autoplay CD with video AND player?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max FancherAutoplay CD with video AND player?
by on May 2, 2008 at 4:36:57 pm

Hi there,

I have a corporate video client who wants to put a video I created onto a CD (not dvd) and have it autoplay when his potential clients put it in their computers.

So, my questions revolve around the best way to go about that. What's the best format for the video? Can the CD have a "player" on the CD itself thus not depending on the users players?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

p.s. i apologize if this isn't the best forum for this question but it seemed like you might have experience with this request.

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: Autoplay CD with video AND player?
by on May 4, 2008 at 7:28:04 am

While there are Macros that can easily run from a CD on insertion, load a player, then run a video file, they all rely on the underlying operating system of the computer the disc is being loaded into.

The problem crops up if you put a disc designed to call those macros on, say, a PC - into a Mac or a Linux box. It simply won't work under those circumstances.

And it's always unwise to presume the capabilities of any computer that will be used to present a video.

Unfortunately in the CD realm, there's no "universal standard" equivalent to the DVD-Video standard for playing (and auto-playing) video off a CD.

FCP since NAB 1999
creator: muti-track movies

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Autoplay CD with video AND player?
by on May 7, 2008 at 10:21:14 pm

Adobe/Macromedia Director or Flash are what we use. Autorun on a Mac is dicey - we usually include Mac instructions on the disc (open start or start.htm) although there may be workarounds. Autorun on a PC, assuming the feature is not disabled, is a bit easier.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved