FORUMS: list search recent posts

Software Field Monitors w/ DV & HDV

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob DouglasSoftware Field Monitors w/ DV & HDV
by on Mar 3, 2008 at 11:22:49 pm

Looking for feedback on anyone who is shooting with any of the currently available "Software Field Monitors" such as Big Mug Software's "Capture Magic", DVDxDV’s "Veescope Live", Red Lightning’s "HD Monitor", and Divergent Media's "ScopeBox"?

What product are you using and what Mac/Macbook/MacBook Pro/PowerBook are you using in the field?

Are you using it for Field Monitoring, Capturing or Both?

Tell us about your experience?

Bob Douglas
FX Productions

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: Software Field Monitors w/ DV & HDV
by on Mar 4, 2008 at 2:47:31 am

I was one of the Beta Testers for Red Lightening's software.

I only use it in DV mode, but since the product shipped, I've found it to be a VERY solid performer. I use often it for basic shot monitoring, and even video capture during seminars and other shoots.

I think it's a great tool to have in your arsenal. Works as advertised, and has a lot of nice extra features.

The only two warning's I have is that LCD computer monitors are NOT and WILL NEVER BE broadcast monitors - so even with the nice basic screen calibration software included in the package, I never trust ANY LCD as far as picture color or quality. It's a wonderful framing tool - and the scopes and overlays are GREAT as far as they go. But the basic picture is still an LCD screen - so kiss dependable colorometry goodbye - not because of the software but because of the inherent problems of ALL LCD screens.

And if you decide to use it for field monitoring, at LEAST get a laptop with a matte screen - never glossy. The modern glossy screens make it REALLY hard to calibrate a picture since they change what you see as the angle of the screen changes.

Hope that helps.

FCP since NAB 1999
creator: muti-track movies

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved