FORUMS: list search recent posts

storyboard specs

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Santosstoryboard specs
by on Mar 2, 2008 at 11:06:04 am

Is there an industry standard specs for a storyboard like the size and type of board, size of the pictures, what exactly to write below the pictures, etc? Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: storyboard specs
by on Mar 3, 2008 at 8:10:32 pm

I have seen them in many sizes and levels of completion, from scribbles on a napkin to animatics with actual CGI and motion in them, and I have seen boards in tiny boxes running down a third column of a 2-column script, to poster-board size with from three to nine to 20 frames on them, with and without captions under. You didn't say if this was for a movie, a music video, an effects sequernce, a TV spot, or what.

So I'd say I'd be surprised to know of a "standard", though if I was going to use them myself, I'd tend to go with the posterboard size with six to nine individual frames about the size of my hand, and up to 3 lines of captioning under each of the frames, which is what we used to use when composing 30-second TV ad pitches in school. At work I used 8&1/2 by 11 inch standard pages with a 3-column arrangement (Picture, audio, video description) or 2-column (Pics downthe left, copy down the right). If you're doing something longer and more elaborate, you'll have more frames to show, obviously, and then the individual frame sizes will have to get smaller to fit on one or two boards. Or you get way more boards:-)

Premade storyboard tablets are available thru better art supply stores and places like Markertek.

Return to posts index

Ryan SantosRe: storyboard specs
by on Mar 7, 2008 at 1:44:01 pm

Thanks Mark! It's for two projects: one is a 7 minute marketing video, the other one is 45 minute training video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved