FORUMS: list search recent posts

Book for Vacation Reading (Cross-posted)

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aujom ProductionsBook for Vacation Reading (Cross-posted)
by on Feb 27, 2008 at 11:07:45 pm

It's hard to believe, but I'm taking a week long vacation. I'd like to take a book to read. Usually I only read manuals and tutorials, but those are pretty worthless without a computer in front of me.

If you could take one industry-related book on a vacation, what would it be? Something related to: business in general, editing concepts, motion graphics concepts, videography or similar preferred. I'm an independent producer focused on After Effects and FCP. And the million other things we all do ourselves these days (shooting, encoding, client service, accounting, DVD authoring, etc.)

Thanks for your input! Cheers, Brian

Return to posts index

Mike SmithRe: Book for Vacation Reading (Cross-posted)
by on Feb 29, 2008 at 11:19:00 am

Have you read The Alchemist, by Paul Coelho ... not strictly industry, but hey.

Alternatively Techniques of Film Editing by Karel Reisz and Gavin Millar is I think a classic - best general approach to film making I've seen. OK, it's old - but film story construction hasn't really changed that much (see below!)

Or there's the brilliant The Seven Basic Plots by Christopher Booker, if you're really a speed reader!

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: Book for Vacation Reading (Cross-posted)
by on Mar 4, 2008 at 2:39:33 am

The LAST thing you want to take on vacation is "industry" reading.

Take something FUN - but perhaps with a plot that reflects the industry you love.

I'd recommend either William Gibson's "Pattern Recognition" - which speculates about where media and culture is headed wrapped up in a mystery about who's creating and posting some very beautiful snippits of web video that's capturing the imagination of the artistic community the world over.

OR, if you want something lighter and more pure fun - there are the always enjoyable Dick Francis books - which typically center in the horseracing world, but his classic "In the Frame - is about a movie director who's in pre-production on a historical movie. Somehow Francis always provides insights into whatever topic he's writing about while remaining intensely entertaining. I LOVED his take on how the craft of directing and how the artistic content of movies REALLY come about. Highly recommended.

Both should be available at any bookstore.

FCP since NAB 1999
creator: muti-track movies

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved