FORUMS: list search recent posts

background music for talking heads

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Nicholasbackground music for talking heads
by on Jan 2, 2008 at 7:09:49 am

thought i'd pick your guy's brains regarding how i should handle the editing of an informational style video. the video is for promotion of a student conference; outlining the activities in store for the future event. the final program is about 6 minutes of talking heads (with some cut aways). all solo speakers were mic'd w/ wireless lav's, and it was a two camera shoot (one shot wide, one tight). anyway, each speaker (at a unique location) briefly discusses a given aspect of said conference, and then it switches to the next "section"/speaker.

what i am asking you guys is how would you handle the audio tracks, i.e. music? would you try and find a stock track to play softly in the background or just leave it as it? it sounds pretty boring with just the dialogue by itself. another option i was thinking was just get a single "stinger" and play that at the beginning of each section over a title? that may get repetitive though. i thought that i'd see what you guys would do, before i spend money on purchasing stock music.

Return to posts index

Greg BallRe: background music for talking heads
by on Jan 2, 2008 at 11:46:50 pm

Go to someplace like You can purchase a cut fairly cheaply, or even a whole CD with simimilar music. Remember music determines the feel, emotion, and pace of your video.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: background music for talking heads
by on Jan 3, 2008 at 6:56:06 pm

"Wall to wall" music is not always a good choice. My first choice might be to use it only for main and end titles, then voiceover narrative parts and introductions/ bumpers out of segments, but not under each person's speech. It should also try to carry an emotional subtext that's in line with the story you're telling. I like Bakery products, we have pretty much the whole collection. is a great option for a la carte shopping. We also now use a lot of custom loop-generated tracks to fit exact lengths, using Garage Band as well as Sonicfire.

Return to posts index

Mick HaenslerRe: background music for talking heads
by on Jan 18, 2008 at 1:36:48 pm

The new Sound FX libraries from Digital Juice have a ton of ambient music as well as music "sets" with stingers, tags and themes. There is a huge range of styles for not a lot of money. Plus you also get over 10,000 sound effects recorded at 96K including foley sounds. You can't beat it for the price.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved