FORUMS: list search recent posts

hardwiring a lav mic?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nelsonmay10hardwiring a lav mic?
by on Dec 6, 2007 at 6:19:30 pm

I have no idea where to post this, since there doesn't seem to be a pro sound category. I have some cheap Nady wireless lav mics, that I am running into an HVX200 standard DV. I can't afford better mics right now so I have to make do with that I have. I am getting some dropouts and want to know if I can hardwire the lav to my camera XLR input, preamp or mixing board.

I went to a Music store and everything we tried didn't work. basically they tried to run a 1/8 inch mono to stereo adapter into a 1/8" stereo to XLR (high to low impedance) It didn't work.

Would I be able to get a mono 1/8 phone plug and wire it to a Male XLR plug from Radio Shack?

I know I won't have the third line going to the XLR from the 1/8 inch plug, but is there a way to wire this to make it work?

G5, 1.7, 4MB RAM, 30"cine, G4, 1.6 2MB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 5. Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: hardwiring a lav mic?
by on Dec 6, 2007 at 9:50:07 pm

Do these mics require phantom power?

Be wary when you're going from balanced to unbalanced: if you cut one "leg", you're losing half the signal.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking instead of cutting up your wireless stuff, even the $20 wired lav at Radio Shack is useable for some things.

Return to posts index

nelsonmay10Re: hardwiring a lav mic?
by on Dec 7, 2007 at 4:59:17 am

i am not sure and am not sure if I have the spec sheet, but an engineer told me that if at least they take 1 volt it will not work.

I wasn't going to cut the cable, I was going to use a female 1/8 inch phono, center to pin 2 on the XLR, and the ring to 3 and 1 on the XLR.

G5, 1.7, 4MB RAM, 30"cine, G4, 1.6 2MB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 5. Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: hardwiring a lav mic?
by on Dec 7, 2007 at 5:33:59 am

It might be best to just rent a good mic for your shoot. The price of the adapters you might need could be close to the price of a daily rental fee.

I gave up on cheep mics after my second one died on me, and since I don't use them to often I just rent them now. At my local rental shop it is like $35 a day for a nice lav system.

Return to posts index

Rennie KlymykRe: hardwiring a lav mic?
by on Dec 19, 2007 at 1:39:45 pm

Look under audio professionals forum

Basically you should match the voltages through an impedance transformer. I don't know why the one at the music store didn't work because that is what they do. Pro sound is Low-Z 600 ohm balanced audio which is the lowest power. Hi-Z is what your unbalanced mike is and it is really mid-level voltage and should interface with your pre-amp. Line level is hi-level voltage that is used in mixers, vcr's etc.

Attempting to link an unbalanced mic to the HVX200 is sinful. Get a balanced wired mic with an XLR end and save some headaches. Everyone should own 2 of these in their audio kit. Check these out at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/8535/Microphones_Lavalier.html

Buy any one of these used on ebay. Sony for example ECM44B is a good starting point. Sony mics go up in quality to ECM55B; ECM66B; ECM77B; ECM88B. You should be able to find an ECM44B for $50.00 on ebay. Guys (like yourself in 3 years) will be dumping ECM44B's to buy better quality replacements but for now they will be far better than your current set-up.

"everything is broken" ......1st. coined by Esther Philips I believe.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]