FORUMS: list search recent posts

Portable Backdrops

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
AnthemWakePortable Backdrops
by on Nov 13, 2007 at 5:03:28 pm

I need to purchase a backdrop for talking heads-style interviews and I would love to find something that's small and somewhat portable, as I will probably be traveling some and my "studio" is actually a fairly small office. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to find something like this? The only backdrops I can find are around 10' x 12' and that's way too big. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Portable Backdrops
by on Nov 13, 2007 at 5:19:21 pm

RoseBrand in NYC or Denny Mfg. I can never spell that second one right firt try, is it Denny or Denney? Google both along with photo backdrops, you'll find it.

Return to posts index

ChiahawkRe: Portable Backdrops
by on Nov 14, 2007 at 1:14:59 pm

Also check B&H photo

I know that 10x12 seem pretty big but you may want that much in the future. You can create some pretty cool effects with pleats and swirls. It's amazing what a couple of C-stands and some spring clamps can do. Also check your local fabric store for muslin or other materials. That will be a good, cost effective option. Good Luck!! CH

Return to posts index

PeabodyRe: Portable Backdrops
by on Nov 15, 2007 at 7:20:58 pm

Just completed a series of talking head interviews using black velvet as a backdrop.
Worked great, no shine and doesn't wrinkle that easily.
Best if not lit, but you'll figure that out.
Bought it at a fabric store.
Discount fabric stores have lots of gawdy, mottled fabric you'd never use for anything, but for a backdrop suddenly it works.
Also, put together a backdrop with a gobo,---magic.
Haven't tried it yet, but intend to use an old protable film screen as a white backdrop (great for web stuff).
The screen can also double as a place to hang other backdrops.
Should be lots of those around as not many use them to view 8mm anymore,----right!

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic PlasticRe: Portable Backdrops
by on Nov 19, 2007 at 7:31:50 am

This works well for small backdrops, especially "one time use" deals where you discard it...

It just so happens that one block from our studio is a school supply place called "SchoolCraft"... they sell supplies to teachers, etc. One of the items they happen to stock are rolls of colored paper like teachers use to make bulletin boards, etc. It's about five feet wide, available in about 25 colors (including darn-near chroma green), and is only about 50 cents a foot. Many times we have zipped down there and bought 8 or 10 feet of something for a specific project. If it survives the shoot, we roll it up and save it. If it doesn't, no worries since it is so darn cheap.

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

Philip HowellsRe: Portable Backdrops
by on Mar 28, 2008 at 11:32:56 pm

For a series of on location taling head and interview programmes we made a 15ft set backdrop with a 35degree angle in it that packs down into the trunk of a MPV along with the rest of the gear.

It consists of five 1m lengths of 1x4 inch hollow aluminium sections with wood fitted in tight and drilled through for 5 inch bolts and wing nuts. The angle joint cost $100 to be made specially.

We mount this on three lighting stands and suspend a 3m drop of cyclorama cloth which is rolled on a core for travelling. An industrial steam wrinkle remover is all that's needed on site to smooth and being a cyc we can shine lights on to it and through it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved