FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corporate Video with just Soundbites

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dasromasCorporate Video with just Soundbites
by on Sep 7, 2007 at 6:31:36 pm

I am starting to edit a corporate video that will be used to help explain the product (pharmaceutical drug) to the company sales team. The only elements I was given are interviews of a patient and of a doctor talking about the product. There is no B-roll, no stills and no product shots. Just soundbites. Does anybody have any examples or ideas on how I can make a video with two talking heads look exciting?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Vincent BecquiotRe: Corporate Video with just Soundbites
by on Sep 8, 2007 at 3:50:15 pm

Well, in all these years, I have never been able to put "Pharma" and "exiting" in the same sentence.

If this is a fairely known product, you should be able to obtain stills, even if you have to go to their website (Often under press kit) and get an approval to use them in the video.

I think you should show them what the rough cut looks like and that may convince them to do so research. Or contact their marketing dept, ask for the designer.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Corporate Video with just Soundbites
by on Sep 8, 2007 at 4:03:41 pm

Obviously, your biggest challenge is creating a structure which will make your show watchable. Certainly backgrounds like those from JumpBacks, ArtBeats and others will help. They will also give you a third place to go instead of just the two talking heads. If you are using a background you might consider a DVE build that puts the patient on one side and the doc on the other, then zooms up to full screen for their individual clips and back for the transition from one (Doc) to the other (patient). At least you could do this a couple of times before just using cuts, since using it for every transition would get REAL old in a hurry.

Assuming you have a music track, you can also hold on just the background for a few seconds before going back to the talking heads.

Another source for backgrounds might be stuff from one of the cheap stock houses like iStock, BigStock and StockXpert. I believe that only iStock offers video clips, but you can buy a still from any of them and blur it for use as an appropriate but neutral background. For example, a lab or a hospital hallway, a doctor's examining room, someone doing an activity that the drug makes possible, etc, etc.

As to no product shots, ask, ask and then find someone else to ask again. Beauty shots of drug bottles exist in some drug companies, if only for their own sales literature. Sometimes they exist for ads, too. Failing that ask to borrow empty bottles and shoot your own. We frequently do things like that as digital stills which are put into AfterEffects for some slow pans and zooms. It's not the ideal situation but it's a whole lot better than not having enough (or in your case any) B-roll.

Hope the above will help generate a few more ideas.

Return to posts index

dasromasRe: Corporate Video with just Soundbites
by on Sep 10, 2007 at 12:29:44 pm

Thank you both for your response and ideas. I have acces to jumpbacks, swipes and a music library, so I will be utilizing them. I also have sapphire so I will throw in a few glow effects. Thank you again for your help!

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Corporate Video with just Soundbites
by on Sep 10, 2007 at 2:06:04 pm

You need to create backdrops and linking pieces. If you can't get an on-screen narrator, you can throw up some text with a question that the clip then answers. One of my favorite things to do is to create a tableau or scene with real-life objects related to the story, and use a video projector to project the interview clips onto pieces of the "set". In the case of your project, the most obvious thing might be examining room or surgical suite. Or you could simulate the cluttered desk of a busy doctor with a bunch of file folders, and PIP box the clips into the open folders as "case studies".

Return to posts index

dasromasRe: Corporate Video with just Soundbites
by on Sep 10, 2007 at 4:55:05 pm

Mark, I like the idea about the text on the screen. When the Doctor or patient says something that is key and/or important I will have text come in on the screen. I have Boris FX, so I'm sure I can find something that looks good.
Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved