FORUMS: list search recent posts

standard procedure in dealing with clients

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Santosstandard procedure in dealing with clients
by on Sep 3, 2007 at 12:23:37 pm

What is the standard procedure in dealing with clients? Should the concept/ storyboard be shown even before the contract is signed. I thought that to get the client, I can show him a good concept or storyboard. But the problem is, he might just rob me of my ideas and make the corporate video themselves. Should they pay partially before they hear my concept? What do you think?

Return to posts index

epontiusRe: standard procedure in dealing with clients
by on Sep 4, 2007 at 4:31:18 pm

I don't think anyone in their right mind will pay to hear your pitch. If they steal your concept, you probably didn't want to work with them anyway...those are the types that will bend you over backwards and pay you next to nothing.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: standard procedure in dealing with clients
by on Sep 4, 2007 at 8:31:54 pm

You can't prevent someone stealing the idea unless they sign a form in advance. This is not practical for what you want to do. The best defense against having your idea stolen or given to a cheaper competitor is to overwhelm the client with your preparation and advance work on it. "Own" it by virtue of how much detail you have already worked out, stuff somebody else would have to do from scratch. Make it seem like you are so far ahead of anybody else in the ability to immediately execute this idea, that they'd be fools to give it to anyone else.

Return to posts index

andy stintonRe: standard procedure in dealing with clients
by on Sep 6, 2007 at 4:59:33 pm

Mark do we come from different viewpoints !!! My approach is to overwhelm the client with the concept. Sell the sizzle not the steak.. There is a difference to starting the job and doing the proposal .

The clients want details...Thats what I sell, give me the money honey !!!!

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: standard procedure in dealing with clients
by on Sep 6, 2007 at 7:20:55 pm

Naw Andy, I think we're on the same side here. You want to convince them that you are the perfect guy or gal to pull this off because you obviously have the best grasp of it. The more depth of prep and understanding you can show, the better you can communicate the concepts of the spot in the pitch to the client. If it comes down to you with all your storyboards and location stills and color swatches and pre-vis demos versus a guy that says "uh, yeah, we can do something", the smart money is on the over-prepared guy. Of course, if the other guy promises to bring it in for half what you're charging, you might lose the first round, but you tend to get the business back when the lowball guy turns out not to be able to deliver. At a markup for the extra "repair work", of course. Also, you leave those clients with an indelible perception of how good you are, how professional. Does this lead to you being considered first the next time they think about a project? I would imagine so.

Return to posts index

Philip HowellsRe: standard procedure in dealing with clients
by on Mar 28, 2008 at 11:52:07 pm

I think this is an interesting question - especially considering the way that website designers (in the UK at least) do their pitches.

The number of companies who'll get people to pitch and then produce in house is few - and they soon get known around the business.

I was never a good enough artist to do storyboards so I relied on what I can do, write, and gave the clients a well crafted, and detailed description of what the programme was going to look like, what it would say and how it would meet their brief.

I find it amazing that web designers seem to get away with the approach of "give us $3000 - $5000 and we'll make you a great website!" None seem to be interested in presenting ideas, roughs etc, just what they've done before. I tell them that in the real world that's like a big company going to an advertising agency and saying "here's $2m make me a TV and print campaign for my product". It hust doesn't happen.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved