FORUMS: list search recent posts

Project estimate for 5-minute promo video

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ap0110Project estimate for 5-minute promo video
by on May 30, 2007 at 5:15:16 am

Normally, I do lots of research and answer these types of questions myself. But I'm in a bit of a crunch.

My partner and I have the enormous good fortune of kickstarting a new line of business for ourselves. We recently saw a tight window of opportunity and jumped, creating a demo for a new type of marketing video. My client (and their client) absolutely love it and have asked the inevitable question: how much?

So now we need to come up with a budget. And we have absolutely no idea what to charge. We're based on San Francisco and will rent all of our equipment. I'm also wondering about various cast and crew members. First of all, does corporate work need to be union? Would it fall under minimums for the various crew members as a low budget production? This was a demo so we did it on the cheap - 2 man crew who doubled as actors, using a 1-chip camera. The "real" production would be of higher quality, but targeted to web.

We're looking for a ballpark, to the nearest $5k, for a 4-5 minute promo video. Can this type of thing even be guesstimated? If so, anyone want to venture a suggestion? You have our undying gratitude.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Project estimate for 5-minute promo video
by on May 30, 2007 at 3:04:36 pm
Those guys will do it for you for $5k.

Seriously, there is no way you gave enough information there to make anything more than a guess. And guesses are not going to help you. Get out the calculator and note pads and start totalling up expenses and rates, it's the only real way to get a fix on the costs.

What's the difference between a tar paper roofed shack and a mansion? Both will keep the rain off your head. Why does one cost so much more?

A Ferrari Enzo and a Suzuki Swift will both get you across town at about the same time, if you obey all traffic laws.
Why don't they cost the same?

Same as your video.

No, union is not "required" for non-broadcast corporate work, usually that's for broadcast work. But don't automatically assume you can't afford union help on a small job. Excellent trained and talented people often save you time and thus money while enhancing the quality of the product, which also makes money.

Return to posts index

ap0110Re: Project estimate for 5-minute promo video
by on May 30, 2007 at 7:56:11 pm

Thanks for the help. I was worried that it might not be enough to go on. But I appreciate the info about unions.

Return to posts index

George SockaRe: Project estimate for 5-minute promo video
by on May 30, 2007 at 11:17:29 pm

I would check legal on the union thing. Once you sign, you can't go back without creating another production company - I think.

Return to posts index

Andy StintonRe: Project estimate for 5-minute promo video
by on May 30, 2007 at 3:49:14 pm

Number figure out your cost then figure out the minimum profit you would do it for. Try any price that is above you minimum.

Number two ask the client what he has for a budget.Sometime they will tell you and that solves all of the problems..

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved